Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lavatera

Posted by tadog KY (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 12, 11 at 20:36

When I first started planting lavatera from seed, I got these big, tall, bushy beautiful plants. I think I got the seeds from an exchange here. The last few years I have ordered them and they have been so sad, short and flimsy. Does anyone know where I can order the tall, bushy ones? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lavatera

tadog,

these readily reseed and so I wonder if you will get seedlings from your original plants.

Try Thompson and Morgan - a UK seed company

o

Mine just come back on their own very well every year.
Kathi

o

Here are mine from last year.
malva/lavatera

Malva-6-09
Kathi

o

There are quite a few species of Lavatera. Is it possible you got seed of some different types?

o

Ohhh, Kathi -- that is georgeous !!! Probably dumb question, but can you buy those plants full grown?

Bonnie

o

Bonnie,
I imagine so,i'm a seed kinda gal so i grow most of my stuff from seed or cuttings from friends,neighbors,and even strangers if they have something that catches my eye,and they are in the garden i'll stop and ask about something.Gardners are a friendly bunch,we like to share.

I think i may have some seed from last year,i'd be happy to share with you if you go that route.JLMK
Kathi

Oh forgot to say some years they come up and the flowers have stripes on them,love it.

o

Kathi, Very pretty Lavatera!

I was wondering if Lavatera needs cold stratification. If you've grown it from seed before, did you winter sow it or start them under lights?

o

No I didn't winter sow them,or grow under lights.I just put the seed in the ground where I wanted them to come uo. I grow a lot of things from seed,,and never do anything special to start them.I follow Mothr Natures ways of doing things.lol
Kathi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here