Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
frost tonight!!??

Posted by mary_lu zone 4/5 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 27, 10 at 20:36

We have a frost advisory for tonight. Frost in late April is not unusual here, but to have my gardens as far advanced as they are is very unusual. When I did a "walk around" tonight, I noticed that my Cuthbert Grant rose is full of buds! Unheard of in Wisconsin in April! Last year my roses did not have their first flush until the 3rd week of June.

So, needless to say, I carried the 11 rose bushes I bought this weekend, plus numerous other plants into the garage for the night. Wish I could do that with the peonies I just transplanted a few weeks ago. They have come up so nicely and many have buds too.

Keeping my fingers crossed that this time the weatherman is wrong!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: frost tonight!!??

I will cross my fingers for you too. We went straight from winter almost to summer, and now our weather is "stuttering" and is a little cooler. I would hate for you to lose those peonie buds. Maybe he's wrong.

kay

o

Mary Lu - can you throw tea towels, or something light over them??

Nancy.

o

Keeping my fingers crossed too.
Renee

o

• Posted by memo Zone 4B Nebraska (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 27, 10 at 23:47

We had warnings the past two nights and I went out and covered everything in bed sheets. Everything survived fine. I'd go cover as much as you can.

MeMo

o

Well, after surveying the yard it looks like I lucked out. We did have a light frost, but there does not appear to be any damage. Now if only we can only stay warmer for the rest of the growing season!

Thanks for all the finger crossing! I seems to have helped!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here