Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_kitten

Three Trees

organic_kitten
12 years ago

Last year, I lamented on this forum that I couldn't grow lilacs where I live. Several of you assured me that I could grow Miss Kim. Here she is, her first spring:

{{gwi:665715}}

And this is a close-up of one of the little fringe trees (grows wild, but I had to buy mine)in full bloom and fully white and fragrant:

{{gwi:665717}}

And clematis Josephine has climbed up in the world:

{{gwi:579940}}

kay

Comments (12)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

GORGEOUS!!!

Annette

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you Annette,

The little trees (and the clematis , of course, have added nicely to my garden. the fringe tree and the lilac are in my cottage/butterfly garden.

The weather has been to the liking of all of the plants. this has been the prettiest spring I can remember in my garden.
    kay

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    12 years ago

Beautiful. I too am trying to grow a few lilacs. I picked up a couple bloomerang lilacs, reblooming lilacs, and I hope I don't kill them. I love that clematis and really gotta get me one. Judy

• trailrunner
    12 years ago

Beautiful. My clemmies are all starting too and look wonderful. depends on where they are in the sun too . Some are also really late ones. I just wish I could have lilacs...used to in Ohio when I was little...they are so sweet. c

• natalie4b
    12 years ago

Miss Kim is a survivor! She is a tough one, and grows where another lilac is timid. There are few Miss Kim about to bloom in my garden.
    I am also impressed with your plant markers - on a very first picture - very professional and classy.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    12 years ago

Mmmmm I can smell the lilac here!! I adore lilacs. Never seen fringe tree before, but it looks neat! How lucky you are ...

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Prettypetals, trailrunner, and lilyfinch,
    I didn't think I could grow lilacs here and when several posters told me Miss Kim would grow here, I took a chance. She looks very happy for a little girl, doesn't she. And she smells so sweet, I am very grateful for the good advice.

Natlie4b, I spend too much on the markers, but I think they are worth it considering what I spend on plants. My grandson calls my garden "the Botanical Gardens of Mayberry"

Prettypetals and trailrunner,
    I got into clematisa the same timeas I got into day lilies...when I hurt my knee. Both collections have steadily grown, and they clematis are blooming in many places in the yard now.

kay

• newyorkrita
    12 years ago

Lovely, all of them. And I am so glad you can grow the Lilac. I can and do have lilacs here and not only the small flowered varieties such as Miss Kim but the regular old fashioned French Lilacs that smell divine.

Your little Fringe Tree blossoms are lovely and quite unusual and you know I love the clematis. All very beautiful.

• natal
    12 years ago

They're so pretty. I always loved the lilac in our northern Indiana back yard when I was a kid. Down here Vitex is a good substitute.

I have a fringe tree too and almost missed its blooming this spring. It's only about 4 feet tall and tucked into a bed with the Vitex and some abutilon.

• gottagarden
    12 years ago

Enjoy your lilac! Nothing like the fragrance of lilacs to bring me back to childhood.

• ripley529
    12 years ago

Very pretty. I bought a Fringe tree last year at MOBOT's spring sale, about 4 ft tall. I noticed them while touring MOBOT gardens. It didnt' grow much last year, and so far has not bloomed this spring, still waiting on it to leaf out. I am wondering if I have it in too much sun. I also have that exact clematis :) I have one of mine growing up thru a crepe myrtle, love that effect.

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

Lovely pics! It is -3 here this morning..come on!!! Seriously? Some new record...sheesh.Last year I was gardening in a t-shirt, in Feb!!!!

Sponsored
All American Painting Plus
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars114 Reviews
Loudoun County Paint & Wall Coverings Professional: Best of Houzz