Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ianna_gw

What do you think of this clematis combination

ianna
12 years ago

I spotted this online and I thought it clever although it's not colour combination I would choose. What do you think of it?

Here is a link that might be useful: combining clematis

Comments (18)

• mantis__oh
    12 years ago

I find it garish. But the plants are certainly growing well.

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    12 years ago

UGH! I suspect it's been 'photoshoppetd' a bit too....

• natal
    12 years ago

Definitely photoshopped.

• ogrose_tx
    12 years ago

Nope...

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Looks fake. I think it's photoshopped.

• gardenofeden777
    12 years ago

It looks gaudy or something. Definitely not appealing in any way.

• natalie4b
    12 years ago

Too much and too fake.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

"ditto" to all of the above.

Annette

• ianna
    Original Author
    12 years ago

LOL. It does look garish but I looked beyond the obvious. That's how I get ideas for the garden.

I thought combining 2 or may 3 colours of the same hue would be a nice garden experiment. I've been thinking of combining perhaps a 2 different pinks with another climber of a different plant.

Take a look at this example

Here is a link that might be useful: clematis mix

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Now that's a really pretty combination.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Yep, I like #2 as well. I wish my poor clem was doing better. After many years trying to grow it up a trellis that I attached to a no parking sign in the strip out front, I may try again with a different one or two. It blooms, but never became a lush think plant. :( I don't have Woody's touch, alas.

• Sandi_W
    12 years ago

Ditto what everyone else has said on both pics. I bought one bare root 'Nelly Moser' 19 years ago and it got about 1' tall and died. I've never tried to grow clematis again. I think it's about time I give it another chance.

• freezengirl
    12 years ago

If you look at both pictures again you will note that it isn't so much that the colors are so garish in the first-the combinations of the intensity is wrong. In the first it is the light pink (Nelly Moser?) that throws the whole combination off. When using intense colors, everything has to be intense. The idea works well in the second picture because they used similar intensity of color, not just the colors they used.
    I always found Clematis to be quite fussy about PH of the soil, more so then any other plants. They also like their roots cool so planting something at the base of them or covering with a rock or pot worked well for me in my (then) hot, humid summers.

• ianna
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well to me that's what garish is all about. Loud and wrong colours combined. Frankly, I don't think it was photoshopped, but I can be wrong. The contrast was just so strong that you might as well hung a neon sign in front of that house. And really combining colours shouldn't be too hard.

• gottagarden
    12 years ago

My clematis combination:

Left side of bench has clematis roguchi and sieboldii. {{gwi:666149}}From Clematis

Right side of bench has clematis venosa violacea and betty corning. Betty is wonderfully fragrant and when sitting on this bench you can just drink it in. {{gwi:666150}}From Clematis
    {{gwi:666151}}From Clematis

• gardenofeden777
    12 years ago

Wow gottagarden spectacular job! Just beautiful! Rena'

• Sandi_W
    12 years ago

gottagarden Now that combo is very pretty. And I love the bench in there. Beautiful setting

• ianna
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Now there's a sweet combo. BTW - I also note that your grey/black chair provided a good backdrop to make your clematis stand out.

Sponsored