Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does anyone grow Prickly Pear Cactus?

Posted by mary_lu zone 4/5 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 22, 12 at 21:12

I was wondering if anyone here grows Prickly Pear Cactus? My sister has offered to dig up some starts for me. Until I saw the plant in her garden, I didn't realize that a cactus could grow in cold Wisconsin.

I believe it is the Prickly Pear Cactus but she couldn't say for sure, as she got a start from her son's garden. So it is a pass-a-long plant. It is low growing and when it flowers they are a very pretty yellow.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does anyone grow Prickly Pear Cactus?

It looks similar to the prickly pear that grows in my area, but our fruits are purplish pink. It grows wild and has survived temperatures of -30 last winter.

o

I have some in my garden. I find it is slow growing and just started flowering last year. No were near the display in the picture. It does survive.

o

• Posted by memo Zone 4B Nebraska (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 24, 12 at 3:05

I have some in my garden Mary Lu. I don't know where your sister lives but mine doesn't always look too great after a tough winter. I have to dig out some of it due to die back and it can take some time for it to fill back in to where it looks full again. The flowers are gorgeous. They are wild here too. I got mine out of the pasture.

MeMo

o

I have two varieties.
The native one is small with barbs and spines both! The other is a large Prickly Pear and grows quite large. I think they add interest and texture to a cottage garden, like Aloes, Agaves, and Ornamental Grasses.
I planted one clump of the large Prickly Pear Cactus in the back, nestled in with some old horse-drawn farming implements that were my great-grandfathers.

o

I have the thornless variety. It's much easier to remove weeds around it.

o

The ones with thorns are very prickly. I'm usually pretty tolerant of pokey things,but those were just too sharp.

Martha

o

I love them for the blooms. I have traded for a few different color. I had big patches at my old house and I transferred them to my new property. If you have a place that is dry gravel full blazing sun you will get a large patch.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

This is my orangy red one..

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here