Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Deer eating my strawberries...how did it get to this point :)

lavender_lass
13 years ago

Those little goofballs are eating my woodland strawberries...the ones I was so excited to find at the store. They didn't eat them all the way downt to the ground, but they definitely pruned them back a bit.

The funny thing is, I'm telling myself, I really need to get that fence up...not that it will keep them out, but they won't be able to eat right through the garden, so I'm hoping it will help a bit. I also need to get some alyssum tomorrow, which they don't like very much. So, here I am, treating my deer like they're misbehaving little puppies...that I've allowed to get into trouble, by not having the right safeguards in place.

They are so cute, I've somehow completely caved and now think of them as 'my cute little deer' and not unwanted pests. It's going to be a long summer...and did I mention I need to get busy on that fence? LOL

Anyone else having problems with pets in the garden....or deer/other visitors, who seem to think they're pets? :)

Comments (7)

• Calamity_J
    13 years ago

I had had enough with deer eating Everything in my yard, even my strawberries 6ft away from the back door!!! (Came home to stems!!)Got my 1/2 acre fenced and haven't been happier!!! The deer walk along the fence line gazing hungerly in the yard, but No Way!!! Last yr a deer managed to jump in at this one spot and my Yokie/maltese and chihuahua chased it around and it couldn't find a way over the 6ft fence, was getting hurt and I started to worry for it, but then it got a leg up on a support post in the corner and away it went, whew! AND STAY OUT!!! Did I mention, that I have 7 roses to plant this year? WhooHoo! And I sure enjoyed my strawberries last yr! heh heh!

• luckygal
    13 years ago

While I love our little herd of deer and find them fascinating to watch, I've never liked them *in* my garden. The can do, and have done, a lot of damage very quickly. However, after years of chasing them out of the garden they are getting bolder and mostly just ignore whatever sounds I make. I'm trying a different strategy this year and have been talking quietly to them and telling them to please only nibble and not eat any plant right down to the ground. Not sure it's working for my plants but I'm not feeling quite so angry with them! LOL :-D

I planted my new roses in beds within the dog's yard thinking they wouldn't jump that fence, However after they nibbled them last fall I strung 2 rows of jute twine from fence to fence which keeps them out as it probably looks like several rows of fencing to them. I also flagged them with strips *annointed* with garlic essential oil which they apparently don't like. Wouldn't work in the larger yard tho as the fences are too long. It also looks a little weird so may not be a long-term solution.

Just a warning to anyone with dogs. Deer have been known to kick them to death, especially when they have fawns to protect. I don't let my little dog chase them altho she'd love to. Yaps something annoying when she sees them.

I'm seriously not buying more plants that the deer like altho I know they'll eat almost anything if hungry enough.

We also have marmots which decimated my newly planted pots of hens and chicks and other sedums. This year I'm putting bird cages over the pots. The baby marmots are so cute but my plants were not after they finished them off.

I've been gardening with deer for over 20 years so the novelty of their destruction is wearing thin. However I know I really can't beat them so must try to out think them. Unfortunately many of the anti-deer remedies are not attractive or not easy to use. Might use the garlic essential oil on the perimeter fence but it needs refreshing frequently and makes the entire area smell strongly of garlic. I did buy a lot of lavender plants last year which I'll move this spring to various areas of my garden in the hopes the smell will deter them.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hidcote lavender worked really well for me last year...so I may move a few back to this area of the garden. Bottom line, unless you put in a really big fence (or maybe two fences 4' apart) nothing much seems to keep them out.

My deer don't eat that much...in fact, they ignored the regular strawberries I just transplanted from my mom's, probably because they were much shorter. They like to sample this and that, but most of my plants don't appeal to them, so they just move on. Luckily, they don't care much for my blueberries and I planted bee balm between my purple raspberries, so that should keep them out, too.

Most of my plants (except the roses and veggies) are not something they like, so they're starting to lose interest in much of the garden. So, with any luck, my little fence, more decorative than anything, along with lots of flowers they don't care for...will keep them out of the fruit and veggies.

Luckygal- I don't know about you, but it's about even, between me and the deer, when it comes to ideas...so I'd have to say, I'm not exactly out thinking them, but maybe holding my own. LOL

• plantmaven
    13 years ago

They are one of the reasons I am so glad to be back in town. I must admit, I always had a love hate relationship with them.

Kathy

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ha Ha! I found more woodland strawberries at the store...and I'm going to plant these in my front garden, behind the lavender and alyssum. Hopefully, that will keep my little friends from pruning them...flowers and all. We'll have to wait and see if I'm able to out smart them on this...or not :)

• natalie4b
    13 years ago

I saw deer only once in a garden.
    Now, about seeing hungry creatures as pets: my husband thinks chipmunks and rabbits are cute pets. Ever since we got an outdoor cat - I have not seen any "pets" roaming around, thank goodness! Glad my cat and I see eye to eye.

• mellovesgardening
    13 years ago

We have been fighting with the deer for years here! The only thing that we have found to truly work is a fence. I know that deer can jump extremely high if they want to, but our fence is only about three feet high and it keeps them out. I do know that in general, they won't jump into an area or fence if they can't clearly see a way out, so we place our taller trellises close to the fenceline to block the view. It has worked so far

Melissa

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths