Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_kitten

The Hollyhocks Came Today!

organic_kitten
13 years ago

The Biltmore House hollyhocks came today. Teghre are 4 colors, red, yellow, a dark purple, and red, and all of the blossoms are doubles. They look great, and I have decided to do another bed to show them off to advantage.

I will just open another bed at the end of the new iris bed.

I also ordered a couple of the newer echinaceas and some new (to me) sedums which I wouldn't have considered except for Rita's suggestions.

In the morning, I will get off, and I ghave at least a couple of days to work in the garden before I have to go back to work Friday night. I am excited!

kay

Comments (10)

• newyorkrita
    13 years ago

I love hollyhocks! I used to have them here for many years until last year they all got a horrible case of rust and they all died. I am going to have to copy you and buy some plants. Where did you get them? Not from American Meadows?

Ah, more digging and another garden bed goes in. I can't wait to see pictures of all this.

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

QVC?

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Rita, girlgroup is correct...they came from QVC's Deborah's Garden. They guarantee all the plants for a year. All of the plants they sent were very nice size, and healthy.

The foxgloves were by far the largest ones I got from the three vendors I ordred them from.
    kay

• newyorkrita
    13 years ago

Ok, well, I don't watch QVC sorry. Will have to look for some Hollyhocks elsewhere. Thanks anyway.

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Rita, No, I don't either, but I was channel surfing that night, and BINGO! They had plants. So, I, of course, stopped to see what they had. My daughter had given me a gift certificate to QVC, so I needed to spend it...It was 7 or 8 months old. No expiration date, but still.

You don't have to watch, they have a web site and, this "Roberta's Garden is supposed to be a rgular department. I haven't looked, but the info with the plants said that was the case.

kay

• newyorkrita
    13 years ago

Humm, I will have to go look and see. Still would like to have my Hollyhocks back as they all died last year. I didn't have the doubles, just the regular single kinds. I would wait until the flowers dried on the stalks and the seed pods were ripe. Then I would just crush them open and sprinkle the seeds around were the mother plants were. Each spring got new seedlings coming up. It lasted for years until that really bad rust got them and did them in.

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Rita,

The fox gloves I bought from them have been in the ground a week and are already putting up bloom spikes. I am delighted with them.

kay

• newyorkrita
    13 years ago

I don't think I am going to go for foxgloves. Although I have had them in years past. Right now I am thinking a mixture of Delphiniums and Hollyhocks for my tall spikey things. I have NEVER tried Delphs so I don't know. But thats what I am currently thinking.

• Oakley
    13 years ago

Rita, I can vouch for QVC's plants. Last year I was hesitant to buy from them,but I bought 6 Carpet Roses which thrived, and this winter they sat for a couple of weeks with hard ice on them, and they started growing like crazy when it hit the 50s. I am very impressed with them.

I'm going to check out the Hollyhocks now!

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I planted the hollyhocks today. The things were huge, and already sprouting slightly. I am impressed with the quality of the plants.

kay

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?