Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to propagate a dusty miller?

Posted by haxuan (My Page) on
Sun, May 11, 08 at 0:05

I brought back a dusty miller (thanks to Edna as the donner) from the US and planted it in my garden. It has been branching a lot but never blooms so I don't get any seeds.
I want to have more of this plant. Please advise how I can propagate it. Thanks.

Xuan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to propagate a dusty miller?

Hi Xuan,
Dusty Miller is another you can propagate by semi-hardwood (bend but don't snap) pieces. You can also divide if the plant is mature enough some of the basal stems might already have roots on them.
Bye the way, you've got some lovely Hoya's and lucky you, you can actually collect some from the wild. I got another lacunosa, "Poonsak" this time in my order from D Liddle. Have you found a source for lacunosa yet?

Annette

o

I planted one dusty miller several years ago and it has come back year after year even though I have tried my best to yank all the roots out. I can't get rid of it. I never had an annual that was actually somewhat invasive before!

o

Hi Annette and thanks for your advice about the Dusty Miller. I'll check to see if the branches have roots.
I haven't found lacunosa yet. It's difficult to find different species on sale here!!! I've been searching all the time for them. Lately my net-friends sent me some cuttings, which are mostly NOIDs, so I hope lacunosa to be among them!

msscarlet... I really wish my Dusty Miller to be somewhat 'invasive'. I want to have more of them for my containers.

Xuan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here