Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sayhellonow

Kinda new to this forum

sayhellonow
12 years ago

I'm usually in the Daylilies forum because I grow a lot of them, but now I'm looking for something in particular.

Could some of you tell me one of your favorite pink perennials? I have daylilies and roses, so I don't need anymore of those. Also, I've found Jupiter's Beard to be too invasive for where I want these plants, and I don't want anything very tall.

I've racked my brain, but can't come up with anything. I may be too picky. Thanks everyone.

Comments (19)

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

dianthus flowers comes to mind

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Irises are my favorite perennials, but they may be too tall for your purposes. Sea Thrift grows here- don't know about your zone. My mom uses Princess series alstroemeria Peruvian lilies. I use ivy geranium, and there may be some true geraniums in pink.

Renee

• flora2b
    12 years ago

Can you give us a little more information of your desires. Do you want this plant to fill in around your other plants? How tall do you want? How wide? Is this a full sun position?
    Maybe something like this?
    {{gwi:668575}}
    Flora

• mandolls
    12 years ago

Clara Curtis Daisies are pink with a yellow center, low growing and they spread fast.

• Cher
    12 years ago

First thing that came to mind is Salvia Sensation Pink. Not too tall and really pretty.
    Cher

• sayhellonow
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Flora,

Your garden is lovely! Which rose is that?

What I'm looking for is something to brighten up my cottage garden. I have a lot of red and purple, with some yellow. the pink is a great "bridge" between those bright colors. Every year I plant pink petunias and/or geraniums, and they work really well. But I'd like a perennial so I don't have to plant every year. I'm not too picky on the width, but the height shouldn't be more than 18" - 24".

Cher: Is that Salvia Sensation Pink a perennial? I don't think I've ever seen it. It sounds like it might work.

Mandolls: Those daisies sound great also and, again, I don't recall seeing them in the nurseries. But I'll look for them.

I have some dianthus in another bed, and that might work for me. I wish I could grow Alstromeria, but it gets too cold here for them.

Thanks for all the info, gardeners. I really enjoy lurking in this forum because of all your photos and information.

• natal
    12 years ago

Purple coneflower.

• natal
    12 years ago

And don't forget cosmos for annuals.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

I don't know if these would be suitable for your zone but here's a few that come to mind.
    Aquilegia
    Peonies
    Monarda
    Poppies
    Veronica
    Lychnis 'Angel's Blush'
    Penstemon
    Platycodon
    Scabiosa
    Sidalcea

Annette

• lynnencfan
    12 years ago

what about coral bells (heuchera) - there are some really wonderful leaf colors now and you can get pink flowering ones too. Walmart had a gorgeous one that had purple leaves with bright pink splashes on the leaves - big and bold .....

Lynne

• newyorkrita
    12 years ago

This is a great forum, my favorite right after the Daylily Forum. Welcome and stick around. Don't have any suggestions for perenials though.

• flora2b
    12 years ago

If the annuals have been working well, you will need a selection of perennials to achieve all summer color. I like to use foliage of different colors/textures so the flowers are really secondary.
    The rose in the pic is red double knockout....a very easy care one.
    Flora

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

This penstemon, at the base of the birdbath, was bought at High County Garden last year and returned this spring.

{{gwi:668577}} I also have a pink butterfly bush, and some pink perennial verbena. Also portulaca can reseed pretty easily...I had some pink foxgloves, which may reseed for you also if they like where they are planted.

{{gwi:668581}}

My mother called it thrift, but there is a pink creeping phlox that blooms in the springtime:
    {{gwi:668584}}

Clematis: This is Comtesse de Bouchard, but there are many pink ones:

guara - This is just loaded and triple the size here, now.

{{gwi:668586}}

I like pinks and purples in my country garden too.
    kay

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

If you can go up to 18" or so, you can use mini roses.

• mehearty
    12 years ago

I'll second dianthus. I don't do much with pink perennials since I have pink & red roses, so I don't have more suggestions than that. Actually, a great late bloomer that smells devine is (are?) 4 o'clocks. They have a nice, neat shape, too. I know they're more like annuals here, but the seeds are so easy to collect, and they're so fun to start from seed. You can also dig up the tubes in fall and replant in spring.

• luckygal
    12 years ago

I love pink altho I'm not very fussy so have acquired a lot of hardy pink flowering plants. I also use pink annuals for longer bloom.

Here are some of my pinkish perennials.

Acquilegia...

{{gwi:668587}}

Pink Dot Com lily...

{{gwi:668589}}

Darker pink lily - lost the name...

{{gwi:668591}}

Daylily Catherine Woodbury... slightly mauve

{{gwi:668593}}

Fleabane...

{{gwi:668595}}

Low growing sedum. I also have Autumn Joy but don't have a pic handy.

{{gwi:668597}}

Lamium, also low growing...

{{gwi:668599}}

Common chives, kinda pinkish-mauve - and edible also...

{{gwi:668601}}

This may be a weed but rather pretty, especially in a swath. Works well in my large garden. It may be Prairie Mallow or Evening Primrose...

{{gwi:668603}}

Peony poppy a great self-seeding annual here...

{{gwi:668604}}

Pale pink yarrow...

{{gwi:668605}}

Darker pink yarrow...

{{gwi:668606}}

Can you tell I'm bored with all the rain!

• luckygal
    12 years ago

Forgot to say Welcome to the forum! Have you posted pics of your garden here yet? We do love pics! :-D

• sarahrock
    12 years ago

Peony poppy?? What the heck... why have I never heard of that? Lovely!

• silverkelt
    12 years ago

I love pinks.. quite frankly if you had a whole garden of pink I probably would be quite satisfied..

Knautia Macedonia "melton mix"

{{gwi:398595}}

Prytheum Daisy pink mix

{{gwi:214578}}

Candy Mountain Foxglove .. now gone.. I couldnt stand the foilage that went crisp brown right after flowering.. so out it came.. too bad as the flowers are pretty.

{{gwi:214577}}

Forget me note, rosea sylvania or something like that, just search for pink forget me nots

{{gwi:392352}}

Rosa Comte de Chambord

{{gwi:212933}}

Annual Asters crego mix.. so its just not pink , but I like them all

{{gwi:374531}}

Rondo Penstemon.. lots of pink shades

{{gwi:433380}}

Cosmos.. picotee is all rose and pink shades

{{gwi:427005}}

purple coneflower.. always way more pink to me than purple.. ive never eally seen a true purple in coneflowers..

{{gwi:428469}}

You couldnt get the below becuase its one of my seedlings.. but to show you what kind or rose pink range you can get in daylilies

{{gwi:668607}}

and this one

{{gwi:668608}}

Let know one fool you, pink is the true color of roses.. the one color that you will see the most in all of different forms, the modern mind might think of those high stick in the mud reds.. but alas not so, the gentile form of pink lax against the matte green , with the bold intense scents is what made rose lovers swoon for the last 2000 or so years.

Surpasse Toute

{{gwi:212898}}

Heritage

{{gwi:668609}}

Great Maidens Blush

{{gwi:214563}}

A Japanese Iris , Dirigo Pink Milestone

Im sure you could get a billion TB iris in that range.

One of my favorite roses.. Isaphan
    {{gwi:216708}}

Silverkelt

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH