Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hosenemesis

Mom's cottage garden peaks (pics)

hosenemesis
12 years ago

Hi all,

I went to my mom's house today to look at her garden. It looks lovely, so I took some photos to share with you. The pink rose is Guy de Maupassant, the white is Perdita, the small pink is Our Lady of Guadaloupe, the big flowered dark pink is Yves Piaget. The iris is Sweet Musette, and the other flowers are foxgloves, alstroemerias, and columbines.

{{gwi:668967}}

{{gwi:668969}}

{{gwi:668971}}

{{gwi:668973}}

{{gwi:668975}}

{{gwi:668977}}

This is her tomato bed. It has been invaded by Mme Julia Correvon and Jackmanni clematis, red asiatic lilies and screaming pink ivy geraniums.

{{gwi:668978}}

Oh yeah- we met the nicest English lady down the street on Mother's Day, and got a tour of her HUGE cottage garden. I'm trying to finagle a good day to go over and snap some shots for you all.

Renee

Comments (23)

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

Where do I send the adoption papers!?!!! I'm writing down that iris name....and will HUNT it down!

• mandolls
    12 years ago

Those are some of the most beautiful flower groupings I have ever seen !
    (but I think living in CA is cheating)

• natalie4b
    12 years ago

This is a jaw-dropping awe-inspiring garden, Renee!!! Absolutely heavenly! You made my day - thank you!

• Nancy
    12 years ago

Wow!!! I wish I had that talent, I have to repeat natalie4b, it is just jaw-dropping awe-inspiring! Still struggling to pick my jaw off the floor. Tell your mom I really admire her gardening skills!

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

Very nice color groupings, it's beautiful. I'm going to write down the name of the roses.

• on_greenthumb
    12 years ago

Now THAT is what I think of when I think cottage garden!!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Prettiest garden ever! I love the colors and combinations of the flowers...and yes, I also think living in CA is cheating (of course, that is definitely jealousy speaking)! ;)

Thanks for sharing such marvelously inspiring pics. Your mother is quite an artist.

• wren_garden
    12 years ago

Heaven just Heaven! To give you an idea of the drooling this is causing. Here in zone 5/6 the tulips are just finishing and the Iris leaves are up maybe 10 inches. Roses are still leafing out and Hosta are still just spikes of curled up leaves. All is just shades of green beginnings. We won't have rose bloom till June. Your Mom's garden is an inspiration. Can't wait to see her neighbor's too.

• luckygal
    12 years ago

Incredibly gorgeous garden! Thanks for the inspirational pics and Thanks to your talented Mother. Love that Sweet Musette iris!

• newyorkrita
    12 years ago

Simply stunning, just like the shots I have seen of your garden are simply stunning. I see were you have inherited your gardening skills from. Your mom truely has exceptional talent to be able to create such a stunning garden. I just love all the views but that very first picture is my favorite. Then the tomato garden is increadable. My tomato garden never looked like that! Gorgeous. All of it, simply gorgeous.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    12 years ago

Breathtaking. I had no idea there were so many colors of alstromeria. I like the way the colors of the foxglove and alstromeria play off one another.

Do you and your mom trade ideas (and plants) a lot? Both of your gardens are amazing. How close does she live to you? Such a special gardening bond you must have with her.

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

NOw saee, that is beautiful and the colors that make me happy!!! I love your mother's colors. Beautiful camera work as always,
    Thanks, Renee

kay

• hosenemesis
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, all of you wonderful gardeners. My mom and I spend lots of time in each other's gardens, since she lives less than a mile away. Our flower gardens are very small, so we can focus a lot of energy on them.

The photos show why I don't use pink and purple in my garden- I get it at mom's house. She gets her orange and yellow fix at my house. We don't get the ideas from one another- I get them from you and share.

Renee

• lynnencfan
    12 years ago

I can only echo what others have said - just stunning - thank you so much for sharing a beautiful piece of paradise .....

Lynne

• jakkom
    12 years ago

Your mom's garden is as amazing as yours!

Absolutely glorious - I would be in cutting heaven. I always have flowers year round, but many of them are not good cutting flowers. Love your mom's color combinations!

• DYH
    12 years ago

Stunning flowers--- and high quality photos you took! Thanks for sharing.

• rosefolly
    12 years ago

Just lovely! What a wonderful place to spend time.

Rosefolly

• pippi21
    12 years ago

There's something about that Calif. sunshine that makes growing flowers beautifully. When we were visiting at Edwards AFB years ago, everybody had the most breathtaking roses I've ever seen! I love her mixture of colors. Those foxglove and columbines and that Iris are like eye candy! Now when can we see your flower gardens. I bet they are as pretty as your Mom's.?

• sarahrock
    12 years ago

I think these are going to be my inspiration pictures for the rest of the year. The colors and combinations are utterly stunning!!

• merindah
    12 years ago

WOW!!!

• oceanna
    12 years ago

A breathtaking array of delicious color, and no doubt scent. Fabulous! Very inspirational.

• lavendrfem
    12 years ago

That is the quintessential cottage garden - just spectacular! Thanks so much for posting.

• oceanna
    12 years ago

These photos and your words are so helpful! So often we seep beautiful photos with the plants not named, and that is just frustrating to those of us who are starting out. This thread is going to remain my inspiration for a long time to come. Got any more pictures of your mom's yard?

I can't wait to see the pix of the other yard you mentioned.

Sponsored
Third-Generation Family-Owned Masonry Supplier in Virginia