Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_lu_gw

Peonies in full bloom this week!

mary_lu_gw
11 years ago

The peonies along the driveway that we transplanted 2 years ago are in full bloom this week. And, for once, we have not had any thunderstorms or hard rains to knock them down. They are a riot of color! The scent is unbelievable in that area of the yard. These are a couple pictures taken during the week. I have cut bouquets in almost every room of the house!

{{gwi:669637}}

{{gwi:669638}}

Comments (22)

• bonitamariposa
    11 years ago

One word, GORGEOUS!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Oh how pretty! I have only one and like you, have bouquets in every room. Yours are spectacular, Mary lu! thanks for the eye candy!

• Sandi_W
    11 years ago

Those are just gorgeous.

• girlgroupgirl
    11 years ago

STUNNING! I bet everyone in the neighborhood is trying to get the chance to stroll by!!!

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

How gorgeous that is!!! I love it! thank you for posting such beauty.
    kay

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

Oh my gosh. They are so beautiful! I didn't know they have a scent. What a wonderful sight to see.
    Renee

• manifest
    11 years ago

So breathtaking! I'm envious - peonies are one of my favorite flowers and the ones I would love to grow don't do well in my climate.

• mary_lu_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone! Yes, I love my peonies. They have such a wonderful scent. I doubt I will every be without peonies, even though they can be a mess when they droop down from the weight of the blooms.

They are starting to get a little ragged looking now, as we have had high temps and lots of wind. Will have to go out later today and cut off some of the spent blooms.

• plantmaven
    11 years ago

As usual, I have deep garden envy. I have never seen them, as they do not grow here.

k

• DYH
    11 years ago

That's an amazing display! I've never seen any peony garden that compares! Peony envy. :-)

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

"Peony envy." Heh heh heh. Yup. We all have it!
    Renee

• natalie4b
    11 years ago

If I were your neighbor - I would walk by several times a day to enjoy fragrance and view. What a delight your peonies are!

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    11 years ago

Goodness gracious ML! What do you feed those peonies? They are so huge and magnificent!

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

Be still my heart.

Annette

• mytime
    11 years ago

I've always imagined that a peony hedge would be beautiful, but it's even more stunning than I thought...thanks for sharing!

• kathi_mdgd
    11 years ago

I just showed this to DH.He planted some a year or two ago,but he barely got any blooms.They don't do well here in S.ca.
    kathi

• blaketaylore
    11 years ago

I have one peony bush and it is very beautiful. I never pick the flowers becasue they are so beautiful on the bush. But are peonies like some other flowers the more you pick the blossoms the more blossoms they make? Becasue if that is true I would love to pick some for my kitchen table.

• JessicaBe
    11 years ago

With that clothes line there I bet your clothes smell good when you put them out :-)

• cardwellave
    11 years ago

Blaketaylore,

Peonies sadly do not rebloom. It seems the best flowers, peonies, irises, only give us a show once a year.

• mary_lu_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Glad that everyone is enjoying the pictures. I have really enjoyed the peonies this year, as it is their first real mass bloom. Last year they bloomed, but as it was their first year, I didn't expect a lot of blooms.

No, peonies do not rebloom. However they often do have secondary blooms; side blooms that will bloom later than the main bloom. Some people pinch these back to allow the main bloom to have more "oomph", but I never do. Several days ago I deadheaded the spent blooms, but only back to the secondary blooms. The secondary blooms are now blooming with more to come. This does extend the bloom time by quite a bit.

• thrills
    11 years ago

Lovely!

Do you plant anything in between or behind them? I am trying to figure out what to do around the couple of peonies I have. They are only on their second year, so still small, but they did flower very nicely this year.

• cardwellave
    11 years ago

Mary Lu,

What varieties do you have in there? Looks like Karl Rosenfeld and Sarah Bernhardt?

Sponsored