Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
georgie_gw

Good books for cottage gardening

georgie
16 years ago

I have started to incorporate a cottage style garden into my previous owners landscaping. Can anyone recommend some good books or other websites that I can reference?

I am not looking for history but more plans and details on the plants.

Thanks!

Comments (20)

• thinman
    16 years ago

One that has come up around here before is English Cottage Gardening by Margaret Hensel. I have a copy and really like it.

ThinMan

• DYH
    16 years ago

I'm a fan of Monet, so I've had this book for many years and still go back and look through it several times a year!

The Impressionist Garden by Derek Fell

Cameron

• todancewithwolves
    16 years ago

I have the same book Cameron. I picked it up at a garge sale. One of my favorites!

I painted one of the pictures in the book.
    {{gwi:670405}}

Edna

• DYH
    16 years ago

Edna - you are very talented! You must show us more of your paintings -- in the gallery, perhaps I have just missed your work?

Cameron

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    16 years ago

Edna, your painting is beautiful, I too am a big fan of Monet, DH bought me Monet's Passion by Elizabeth Murry for Christmas one year. It actually has a section where it shows you how to create a little Giverny in your own garden. I often sit down and reread this book when I'm looking for inspiration.

A......

• todancewithwolves
    16 years ago

Sorry for hijacking the thread. I just get so excited when I hear someone has The Impressionist Garden by Derek Fell.

Edna

• Vikki1747
    16 years ago

Edna!! Beautiful painting. Vikki

• msmisk
    16 years ago

That's gorgeous, Edna, and I've put it in my rotating screensaver group. It may even become my new wallpaper.

My favorite cottage garden books are:
    Tasha Tudor's Garden by Tovah Martin
    and
    Country Living: Country Gardens
    and
    Passalong Plants by Steve Bender & Felder Rushing

I've also heard that Country Living has a new book out called Cottage Gardens. Gotta find that one.

Carol

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    16 years ago

Has anybody read Christopher Lloyd's Cottage Gardens? I have heard of this book, but haven't read it. I imagine there will be some history but should also have some very useful information.

A......

• girlgroupgirl
    16 years ago

Herbs in Bloom Jo Ann Gardener
    A Book Of Salvias especially for you western Cottage Gardeners
    Yes, I second Christopher Lloyd's books I read them over and over.
    Margery Fish "A Cottage Garden" (reading it now. Fabulous!)
    All of Ethne Clark's books. My favorites are Herb Garden Design and Cottage Gardening.

These are just a few. I have a good size garden book collection next door gathering dust while they renovate. I'm in withdrawl...

If it's got "cottage gardening" in the title I will buy it and try it!

GGG

• maryc_gwSoCA/USDA10
    16 years ago

All of the above, plus these two books I really like that are more plant specific than garden plan specific -

'Perfect Plant, Perfect Garden' The 200 Most rewarding plants for Every Garden by Anne Scott James

'Annuals: Yearly classics for the Contemporary Garden' by Rob Proctor & Rob Gray

Mary
    PS - Make that 3 - another Giverny - 'Monet's Garden: Through the Seasons at Giverny' by Vivian Russell

• bellarosa
    16 years ago

I would add:
    "Undaunted Garden" by Lauren Springer
    "Passionate Gardening" by Lauren Springer and Rob Proctor
    "Perennial Combinations" by C. Colston Burrell
    "Country Garden Planner" by Country Home

Other favorites include books by Penelope Hobhouse, Piet Oudolf, Derek Fell and Stephen Scanniello (roses).

• bloominganne
    16 years ago

Georgie,

For information about specific plants for the South (I don't know what zone you are in):

Georgia Gardener's Guide, Erica Glasener & Walter Reeves
    Month-by-Month Gardening in Georgia, Erica Glasener &
    Walter Reeves

These three below don't have info about specific plants as much as good information about garden design and inspiring photos. Both authors garden in the Atlanta area but the information is for all zones:

Beautiful by Design, Tara Dillard
    The Garden View, Tara Dillard
    The Well-Placed Weed, Ryan Gainey

Tara Dillard writes about gardening design with emphasis on focal points and how to use them. Since reading her books, I look at my garden in new ways. Very good information.

bloominganne

• todancewithwolves
    16 years ago

Carol, Tasha Tudor is another one of my favorites. I bought her tapes Take Joy and Take Peace. Incredible woman, incredible gardener and incredibly talented artist.

Edna

• irene_dsc
    16 years ago

Bloominganne - I'm intrigued by the idea of a book called The Well-Placed Weed! I think I'm going to have to search that one out! (Tara Dillard sounds interesting, as well, btw.)

• mrmorton
    16 years ago

My favs:
    English Cottage gardening, Margaret Hensel
    Tasha Tudors garden, Tovah martin

I also have Christopher Lloyds Cottage gardening book, and several others.
    Like 3G, I tend to buy anything that has "cottage" in the title.

Now I want to get a copy of The Impressionists Garden. I love Monet, and the book sounds interesting. Thanks!

• rosefolly
    16 years ago

I have, and recommend, these books on cottage gardens.

American Cottage Gardens from the Brooklyn Botanic Garden
    - slim paperback full of short articles, and as with all of this series, excellent

The Cottage Garden by Christopher Lloyd and Richard Bird
    - well illustrated, full of information, and reflecting my personal philosophy that a cottage garden is at its best if it contains useful as well as decorative plants

Pleasures of the Cottage Garden by Rand B. Lee
    - I love this book, from the chatty tone of the author to the useful plant information

English Cottage Gardens by Ethne Clarke and Clay Perry
    -eye candy from the source

English Cottage Gardening for American Gardeners by Margaret Hensel
    - adapting those English gardens to varying American climates

The Northwest Cottage Garden by Andrew Schulman
    -regional guide for the PNW, by the man who used to have that wonderful rose site we all miss, Yesterday's Roses, now available on the Wayback Machine

A note for Edna -- I am so impressed! I will be on the lookout for The Impressionist Garden. I almost bought it when it first came out, but remembered that I already owned Monet's Passion. I studied it long, and do believe I remember the picture. Now I will be certain to buy the book. After all, I "know" one of the contributors!

Rosefolly

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    16 years ago

Elizabeth Murray's website is a fun read, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Elizabeth Murray

• msmisk
    16 years ago

What a great book list - I can't believe there are so many I've never heard of, but I'm glad . . . many happy reading days ahead in my future !

Edna, thanks for telling me about Tasha Tudor's tapes. I'll definitely check them out.

Carol

• bloominganne
    16 years ago

Another great source for "eye candy" is English Garden magazine. I recently bought some back issues (1999-2000) off ebay and they are wonderful. Beautiful photograhphy!

bloominganne

Sponsored
ANF Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Kitchen & Bath Designers Servicing VA