Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
richandclaire

garden plan

richandclaire
12 years ago

If i posted a garden plan and a picture of the front of my house, would there be anyone here to look it over and discuss it with?

Comments (15)

• trovesoftrilliums
    12 years ago

Sounds like fun. =) I am hoping to eventually do that myself, but getting it all together just hasn't happened.

You can also post in the landscape design section, but I'd suggest you read through numerous posts first to get an idea of that forum's tone.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

I'd like to see your pictures and garden plan! Welcome to the forum :)

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Wise advice from trovesoftrilliums- some of the landscape forum people can be quite "tony" indeed. Post it here- people will be kind and enthusiastic.

We'd love to see your ideas.
    Renee

• richandclaire
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Okay, HELP. I am not that bad with a computer, but how do i attached a photo and or a JPG file?

• sarahrock
    12 years ago

I would try uploading it on picasa or flickr and then linking to it here. At least that's what I do... I'm not sure if there's a way to upload directly to gardenweb.

• richandclaire
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here is the plan. Now I just uploaded it to picasa. I dont know if you will be able to see it. Please Let me know.
    If you can see it, then i will express my thoughts with you guys. So let me know if it worked?
    -R

• sarahrock
    12 years ago

What's the link to the picasa picture, richandclaire?

• richandclaire
    Original Author
    12 years ago

here is the post one more time..........

Here is a link that might be useful: my plan

• oceanna
    12 years ago

>>Okay, HELP. I am not that bad with a computer, but how do i attached a photo and or a JPG file?

Go to http://tinypic.com/

Click "choose file" and select your picture that is saved on your computer.

Under "Resize" pick "Message Board"

Click "Upload"

Fill in the code. If you can't read the security code, there are two little arrows going in a circle and if you hit them, it will give you a new code.

Select the text in the uppermost of the little windows of text and copy it here.

Hit "Preview Message" here, and see how it looks. If you don't like it for some reason, you can upload it again and see how it looks.

• maozamom NE Ohio
    12 years ago

It's a bit tiny for these eyes of mine but from what I can see, it looks good. I like that you used a lot of foliage interest so that there is texture and color all year.

Are you aware that creeping jenny is invasive? If it's in the same area as the creeping phlox, the phlox will lose the fight in a short time.

Paperbark Maple is a wonderful tree and everyone loves Japanese Maples.

Maybe add a late season flower?

mao

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    12 years ago

I love my limelight hydrangeas and I'm sure you will too! I agree with the above, the use of the different shades of green will provide so much depth.
    I think it looks like a very well thought out plan! I'll be honest, unless someone was delivering this whole list to me, I'd end up off track..I'm no good at planning , but i sure can buy up a storm! Can't wait to see more of what you decide to do.

• trovesoftrilliums
    12 years ago

It is hard to read the print. Anyone know how to enlarge it?

It looks as though you will have a nice blend of year round interests--textures, evergreens, grasses, etc. You will not have a lot of *wiggle* room for adding in annuals and perennials on a whim, but maybe that is what the area in the back is for. Or maybe you are not plagued with that particular desire. :P Probably this type of design is a good return of color and variation for the amount of maintenance it will require (occasional trimming of shrubs, deadheading, cutting down grasses in spring, basic clean up of dead foliage).

For some reason, the edge going along the driveway bugs me though. Seems as though the garden just suddenly dead ends at the driveway and you might want more of a transition. Like...lower growing shrubs or ??
    Is there a crepe myrtle on the driveway side? I cannot tell, but thought if you have the tall paperbark maples softening the other corner of the house, you probably would visually want something to soften the corner closer to the driveway.

Maybe there'd be room for trellises and vines, but that depends on what the front of your house looks like.

I have some limelight hydrangeas too that just keep on blooming. I was thinking of planting some baptistas with them.

The one thing I'd worry about is shrubs and small trees being planted too close to the house. I cannot read the scale, so I am not sure if this is a potential problem for you though. The front of our house has a purple plum several feet from the house, but alas, this was too close. The tree needs to be pruned regularly to keep the branches out of the gutters and it will never achieve its natural shape.

That's an impressive design. :)

• pippi21
    12 years ago

Was this plan drawn up by a professional landscape designer? My eyes can't see the small print and I tried to enlarge it and couldn't.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    12 years ago

Hmmm....usually in Picasa there's a web link section where you can take the link and then enlarge it to post directly into the message here, but I don't see that link section? I was able to double-click the picture and then use the magnifying glass which will bring it in a little more. Still needed glasses to see the list of plants.

I agree with troves on pretty much all counts. It does look like a nice plan with lots of wiggle room.
    I don't recall seeing any bulbs in the plan. You might want to add lots of bulbs for fall planting/spring blooming. You might also want to check out Viburnum plicatum tomentosum. A nice farily tall layered shrub that gets beautiful white flowers in spring. If you have a good sturdy oak tree or something like that a climbing hydrangea would be nice too.

It looks like this is a professional plan and they should know the best plant material for LI, and boy, do you have some good choices and good nurseries down there! I'm from there originally and sometimes wish I was gardening in zone 7.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Sorry, I can't read the garden plan at all, but some of the pictures looks like good choices for plants. I did see the hardy geranium :)

One thing I would recommend is if you have the chance, maybe add in some edibles to your landscape. There are so many edible fruits, herbs, even flowers and a few veggies that can be tucked into the landscape and they're pretty and useful. My favorite, replace 'bird friendly shrubs' that have berries, with blueberries. Birds like these, too...but if my niece or nephew grabs a berry, I don't have to worry about them eating it.

I'll check back later, to see if you have any luck posting a bigger plan. Have fun with your design and try some other forums, too. Potager is fun and so are the vegetable and fruit forums...and I read a lot of good things about the perennials forum, too.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths