Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hurlee

phlox reseeding issues

hurlee
12 years ago

Hi all. Does anyone else have issues with their phlox reseeding everywhere? I have "David", Nora something, and blue paradise, and a pale lilac. I probably give away 30 pots every year, plus throw tons into the woods. I love them, but I'm seriously thinking about getting rid of them.

I don't cut them down until around november when they have been frosted and killed.

thanks for any input.

:)

jody

Comments (9)

• alisande
    12 years ago

Same thing here. I don't have a solution for you, though. I tossed tons across the road (our property) last year, but you'd never know it from the way they showed up in such masses in my garden. Of course, it didn't help that I planted two new varieties the year before. :-)

I could never get rid of phlox. It blooms in such profusion when nothing much seems to be going on in the garden, at least not among the perennials. And the bees and butterflies adore it.

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    12 years ago

Mine doesn't seem to reseed, but then I deadhead it pretty quickly because it often reblooms for me.

• on_greenthumb
    12 years ago

I don't have a huge amount of phlox - yet.....I bought two small pots last year (knowing their reputation for reseeding) and just checked...still just two small plants coming up this year....Now once they get established, that may be another story....

• pippi21
    12 years ago

I've wintersown "David" this year and it is still strugging in the milk jug. A church friend has been dividing hers with me. She just tells me they are light purple/lavender. NOID..

• mehearty
    12 years ago

David is an animal for me. I moved him 3 years ago, and I'm still getting little seedlings around the original site. I assume I must have left some roots.

I loved the plant, but no matter what I did, the bottom looked disgusting from powdery mildew. Now it's in the side garden with the other naughty plants. It can spray seeds, get mildew and go wild to its heart's content there.

• sarahrock
    12 years ago

Are y'all talking about garden phlox? I just planted David's Lavender last fall so I'm feeling a little nervous reading this. Meanwhile I have some woodland phlox in my yard that I just WISH would reseed or spread. 1 of the 3 plants I put in of it died, and the other two are looking rather meager.

• oceanna
    12 years ago

Isn't the saying 'phlox you' referring to that reseeding?

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    12 years ago

Mine are showing up everywhere too this year. Last year some of them did but this year they are everywhere so I am going to wait to see exactly what color they are and move them to some areas I would like to have them.

• blaketaylore
    12 years ago

Hello All,

I am so jealous! I would love my tall phox to reproduce. It just seems to grow a little each year in a clump. I have had it for about five years, and never found a seedling anywhere else in the yard; and I have a huge large. The phox I have is a white David. I think I will try shaking the seeds about next fall and see if that helps!

Blake