Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gottagarden

common, ordinary, but oh-so-spectacular

gottagarden
14 years ago

Forget-me-nots - everyone has them, but look what they've done with them. These are not mine, I drive by them on the way into town. I've seen them every year. Yesterday I took my camera because this carpet of blue is just fantastic. Just had to share.
{{gwi:671976}}From 2009 Misc
{{gwi:671978}}From 2009 Misc

Comments (26)

• amare_al_giardino
    14 years ago

wow! stunning. Thanks for sharing them.

• alisande
    14 years ago

Gorgeous!! They are enthusiastic spreaders. :-)

• FlowerLady6
    14 years ago

Oooooooooohhh, thank you for sharing those pictures. I just love blue flowers. Can't grow those down here.

FlowerLady

• gldno1
    14 years ago

Makes you wonder how many they started with.

Simple beautiful.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    14 years ago

What a breathtaking view, it's a wonder the traffic keeps flowing when the for-get-me-nots are blooming.

Annette

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    14 years ago

That is spectacular!! I love it when people plant masses and drifts of plants. A sea of blue forget-me-nots; wow!

-Flowerlady, I don't know if these will grow for you either, but Brunnera and Omphalodes (Blue-eyed-Mary) look very similar to them.
    CMK

• scully931
    14 years ago

That picture is now my desktop backgroun. :-)

• User
    14 years ago

I agree with Annette...I don't know how anyone can drive by and not stop. What an amazingly beautiful testament to nature . c

• lynnencfan
    14 years ago

That is just stunning - I have tried and tried to get them to grow down here and have had no success with them. How I would love to see my woods just filled with them like that - thanks for sharing......

Lynne

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

WOW! I love forget me knots and that is just the most gorgeous photo! They are very difficult to grow here (I've tried and tried). These are stunning! Thanks for posting this photo!

• todancewithwolves
    14 years ago

WOW!!!! unbelievable. Looks like a fairytale picture.

• token28001
    14 years ago

I got some last year from a wildflower pack. They didn't reseed. Nor did any of the three packs I tossed out this year. I wanted little blue puffs here and there in the perennial bed.

Gorgeous woods.

• BecR
    14 years ago

Oh how lovely!!! Wish we had them here!

• plantmaven
    14 years ago

Stunning!
    I have never seen them. They certainly don't grow in south central TX.

I would probably wreck my truck if I saw something like that beside the road.

Kathy

• gottagarden
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Amazing, I thought they were a (pretty) weed everywhere. They are like weeds here, literally like dandelions. They self-seed all over - in all the cracks of my paths, in the lawn and of course in the flower beds. They're better than dandelions though, because they are shallow rooted and when I get tired of them they yank out easily and cleanly. They have a long bloom period and nothing is easier. I don't worry about letting them go to seed - you can be sure they will.

Next time I see all your gorgeous tropicals, I'll console myself with the fact that we have forget-me-nots, lilacs and peonies.

Here's a photo I just ran out and took so you can see how they seed in between my stone path. {{gwi:671982}}From 2009 Misc

• proudgm_03
    14 years ago

That is amazing. I would definitely be slamming on my breaks to stare at that for awhile. Maybe I should throw out some seed up and down our road and see if they will grow Maybe they would choke out the weeds that are there.

• little_dani
    14 years ago

Beautiful, gottagarden. I love blue flowers and can never have enough of them. It reminds me of woods in England, but with a solid yellow floor, with daffodils growing as the forget-me-nots are in your wood.

I have tried to grow forget-me-not here, but it was a long time ago, and now I know better than to try.

Janie

• traceyc
    14 years ago

wow how wonderful, thanks for posting the pic.

But I can't look at them without thinking of all those little seedheads that stick to my clothes and the cats' fur for weeks after they've bloomed...not even the washing machine can dislodge them!

• msmisk
    14 years ago

What a breathtaking sight ! I remember them from when I lived up north, but I've never seen them down here until I bought a plant from a little lady at a farmers market last week. She had dug it up out of her garden. Not sure if they are truly forget-me-nots, but they look very similar. I hope they will grow here.

Carol

• wren_garden
    14 years ago

Magical, just magical. Thank you! Wouldn't it be wonderful to sit in that grove in quiet and just smile with the wonder of it all. It is now on my desk top background too.

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    14 years ago

I would always rather have massive drifts of 'common' than a struggling patch of the uncommon.

I've grown forget-me-nots; they're spotty here and prefer shade.

Nell

• teresa_b
    14 years ago

Absolutely breathtaking!

I have found that sowing in Autumn gives me the best results. Sow thickly. You may want to purchase seed through a bulk seed company. Google "bulk flower seed" and several companies have very large amounts of forget-me-not seed at reasonable cost.

Teresa

• libbyshome
    14 years ago

Wow. Absolutely fabulous.

Reminds me of English bluebells.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:671974}}

• gottagarden
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Beautiful link, Libby, and very similar. I wonder how many bulbs that is??

• FlowerLady6
    14 years ago

CMK ~ I just checked and Blue eyed Mary is hardy to zone 8, I'm in zone 10. It's no doubt too hot and humid to grow those here. Thanks for the suggestion.

Scully ~ I had the same idea and used the first photo for my desk top.

Thanks again Brenda for sharing the beauty from your neck of the woods.

FlowerLady

• Pamchesbay
    14 years ago

Virginia bluebells are similar in appearance - ephemeral wildflowers that grow in wet areas, put on a spectacular show in April, then vanish until next year. Folks from the southeastern states may find them easier to grow, especially if you have an area that is wet in the spring.

A local photographer describes his attempts to capture their beauty - includes an image ...

Here is a link that might be useful: Virginia Bluebells

Sponsored