Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandi_w_gw

'Dusty Miller' with pink blooms

Sandi_W
11 years ago

I've heard there is a "Dusty Miller" with pink or purplish blooms. I thought it was a Centauria, but maybe not. Has anyone grown this?

Comments (20)

• schoolhouse_gw
    11 years ago

Not sure I've noticed a variety of Dusty Miller with pink at the nurseries but I'll be on the look out for you.

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks schoolhouse. A county extension agent told me about it, but I can't remember the latin name. I really like dusty miller, but don't like the flowers so I always keep them cut off.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    11 years ago

Lychnis coronaria has a bunch of common names, including rose campion and dusty miller. It has flowers that range from magenta (most common) to light pink to white. It has silver leaves with smooth edges, not cut or toothed as the plants more commonly called dusty miller have.

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks nhbabs. I love Lychnis coronaria. I won't be planting it though as it's so invasive. I would love to find something similiar.

• party_music50
    11 years ago

I have grown Dusty Miller several times... occasionally they'll survive a winter or two, but I have never seen one bloom! I had no idea they did. lol!

Perhaps the 'pink-blooming Dusty Miller' they are referring to is Lambs Ear?

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    11 years ago

party_music, The "Dusty Miller" that is a Centauria has goldish yellow blooms, but I've always kept the blooms cut off as I don't care for them. I'm familiar with Lamb's Ear and it's not what I was looking for.

• kathi_mdgd
    11 years ago

I always cut the blooms off of dusty miller too,never did like them.
    kathi

• DYH
    11 years ago

I was at a garden nursery/greenhouse a few days ago and saw what you're talking about. I'm sorry that I didn't take note of the Latin name.

Cameron

• DYH
    11 years ago

Okay, I found it!

It's Centaurea cineraria! Here's a link to a blogger who wrote about it and posted photos. Now, I'm going to have to go get this one!

Cameron

Here is a link that might be useful: dusty miller with pink blooms

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Cameron, That's it! I googled everywhere and couldn't find it. Thank you. Now I'm going to search to buy it.

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Cameron, This is it: Centaurea gymnocarpa. As soon as I saw gymnocarpa I remembered the name.
    I tried to post the site where I saw it, but gardenweb wouldn't let me.

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I was right and wrong. The gymnocarpa gets pretty big. I would love to have one though, but the cineraria is the one I would like to have a lot of. After googling I still can't find where to buy the pink/purple flowered variety. Several sites said the purple flowered variety is more common, but I've been growing them for many years and have never had any but yellow.

If anyone finds where to buy the plants or seeds please let me know.

• DYH
    11 years ago

The North Carolina nursery that has it can't be mentioned on GW. It is located in Sanford and they don't have an online store. I'll look at some of my favorite online places and let you know if I find it. I wouldn't mind having it!

Cameron

• mark4321_gw
    11 years ago

I just ran across this thread. I picked up Centaurea gymnocarpa at Annie's Annuals few months ago and it just started blooming:

{{gwi:672523}}

The plant was $5.50 in a 4 inch pot at the nursery (probably higher online) and I finally put it in a larger pot. Here's a photo of it prior to repotting. It is growing in part sun and just flopped over:

{{gwi:672525}}

I also started a few small cuttings when I repotted it. Sandi, if you are still looking for the plant, you are welcome to one if some root. If they don't root I'll take bigger cuttings after it finishes blooming.

I've read that the Centaurea gymnocarpa that is common in cultivation does not make viable seeds. However, cuttings are supposed to be very easy. The ones I took were very small, though, so we'll see.

I don't think Annie's is selling the plant at the moment.

Here is a link that might be useful: Centaurea gymnocarpa at Annie's Annuals

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    11 years ago

mark, I would love a cutting. Thank you so much. Let me know how it does.

• DYH
    11 years ago

I was plant shopping again at my favorite place in Sanford, NC and bought one of these to try!

I'm putting it in the cottage garden to give it a try. If I had space in the deer resistant garden, I would have bought another to try out there.

Cameron

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Cameron, Let me know how you like it. I was just in Wilmington, NC for almost a week and wish I had remembered to check how far Sanford is. I will be back there probably in Aug.

• schoolhouse_gw
    11 years ago

Something very similar grows wild here, mainly along the road or in ditches. I've even had a few show up in the orchard among the chickory, and have stolen seeds but had no luck in having it spread.

• DYH
    11 years ago

There is a weed, a Scotch thistle, with gorgeous blooms that are similar. Every time I drive by a roadside over taken with the thistle, I have to remind myself that it is a noxious weed.

Cameron

Here is a link that might be useful: Scotch thistle

• schoolhouse_gw
    11 years ago

Not a thistle. I Googled it, and it's called "Spotted Knapweed". After all this time I have a name for it.

Sponsored