Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Does anyone grow grapes?

lavender_lass
13 years ago

I have a couple of wire cattle panels (4' x 12') that I want to use to grow grapes. I was hoping to put them up next to each other, so they're 4' x 24' and grow Concord grapes along them, like a fence. On the internet, it said blackberries are good companions to grapes, along with hyssop.

I thought maybe the blackberries could go behind the fence, so the grapes get plenty of sun (southeast side) and put the hyssop in front of the grapes. The blackberies would also help block the wind. Would sunflowers work between the grapes, along the fence, until the grapes get bigger? What do you think? Any other ideas? Thanks in advance :)

Comments (3)

• Oakley
    13 years ago

We grow grapes on a fence similar to the one you describe. We live in the country and sunflowers are SO invasive and get to be huge. And these aren't the giant sunflowers either. I'd keep the Sunflowers away or they'll reseed and try to take over the area.

Our grapes get sun from morning to night. I can't help you with the blackberries or hysop though.

My grapes are planted by themselves and have done well over the years. No extra care but water. Watch out for yellow jacket nests though, they like to build them in the grape vines. lol

• Annie
    13 years ago

I wouldn't advise growing blackberries with your grapes, unless you grew grapes up onto an arbor or trellis. But still, seems like they would be hard to work around to pick berries and the grapes. I've grown Chamomile in front of my grapes and garlic nearby.

Depending upon how much rain you get, lay the garden hose down and let it trickle out slowly under the grapes or better yet, use a soaker hose on a low level soak, so it will soak down deep. Let it dry out completely between waterings. They really don't need to be watered unless you don't get any rain on a regular basis. Once the grapes make, stop watering so the sugars in the fruit will concentrate, as with any fruit bearing plant. They will have a lot more flavor.

What kind are you thinking of growing?

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oakleyok- I tried sunflowers last year. They were really pretty, but I don't think we even got seeds. We have a very short growing season (first frost is often end of August) but at least the sunflowers did bloom! LOL

Annie- I want to grow Concord grapes, but I don't know if they'll ripen in time. I have an apple tree that ripens in early October. Some years they freeze, but most years we get a nice harvest. I'm hoping that will be the case with the grapes, too. We usually have hot, dry summers (very little rain after early June) so I end up watering a lot. Good to know about not watering as much, once they make grapes.

The blackberries may have been a misprint, since no one seems to think they would grow well with grapes. Do they grow more like red raspberries or black raspberries? I'm trying some purple royalty raspberries in the garden this year, so I'm hoping they'll do well :)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida