Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantmaven

Do You?

plantmaven
10 years ago

Do you interplant your iris and daylilies?
Several areas now get more sun since that tree is gone. I will plant each plant after it blooms. Typical Libran, I can't decide if I want separate areas or together.

Comments (13)

• Merilia
    10 years ago

I'm not a big fan of daylilies in general, but I think it would probably look better separate. That way you can appreciate the fountaining foliage of the daylilies in contrast with the straighter, broader foliage of the iris.

• runswithscissors
    10 years ago

No, I've never done that but I do interplant my iris' with creeping sedums, hen-and-chicks, and creeping thyme. They look fabulous together, they all like the same growing conditions, and the succulents crowd out weeds and grass, but don't bother the rhizomes at all.

• Calamity_J
    10 years ago

One of the gardening shows (link posted) suggested to plant daylilies in front of the irises so you don't have to look at the irises wither away...I am going to plant the hens/chicks/sedums as suggested also, try a bed of each...cuz I have TONS of hens/chicks/sedums...they seem to really thrive for me! ;-)

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks!

• girlgroupgirl
    10 years ago

Plantmaven:
    I have daylilies with irises, and some allium bulbs in between (they bloom after iris, before daylily) and then I also have the perennial chrysanthemums in the area. It gives me a much longer time of bloom all together.

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    10 years ago

G. I also have a dark blue agapanthus that blooms late. That's a good idea!

• susie_gardener_2007
    10 years ago

Yes, I do plant them together in the same beds. That way when the irises quit blooming the daylilies take over the show. I also have oriental and asian lilies planted in there too.

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Me? My iris and daylilies are mostly in their own beds. Unlike Merilia, I adore day lilies.

I am going to be moving some of the iris among other plants. Girlgroupgirl has magnificent plantings as does Renee, mine won't match theirs, but I like the effect of this beautiful iris (that Girlgroupgirl sent to me) being planting near the roses.

{{gwi:672959}}

An iris bed:

{{gwi:672961}}

As you can see, the iris are almost through blooming, but thisend has the later bloomers. The foliage just stays there, and doesn't look bad, just a sweep of bluish green spears. the daylily beds are in front, so you really don't look at the iris with the daylilies blooming.

kay

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Blue hydrangeas are my favorite flower. Iris and daylilies run a close 2nd.
    When I moved to San Antonio in 1973 my friend/neighbor told me that the person who bought my house dug up all the daylilies and threw them away. She said she almost cried when she realized what he had done.

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

So often that happens when a non-gardener buys a gardeners home. It seems unbelievable when it happens.

I have a blue hydrangea which is covered with the little tight green bundles of blooms right now. It should be blooming before too long. I have another one that had one bloom last year. It was hit pretty hard with the repeated freezes after nice warm spells. It's blooms are almost a hot pink, but I don't think it will ever bloom like the blue one.

My rose garden is fairly new but I can see from your pictures that yours is better established than mine. Beautiful pictures.

I have been buying daylilies since 2008. My garden keeps getting bigger and bigger and it has to stop. I am decreasing the number of iris I grow this year, and am trying to turn a jaundiced eye toward any daylily I don't love. Hard, but I am getting older and I need to do it.
    kay

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I live on top of limestone so I will never have a blue hydrangea in my garden. I do have one endless summer that blooms until the temps get too high.

I know what you mean. I will be 70 this year. I am hoping to get things planted that will multiply. I can always find some one to take plants that have to be thinned. I know I can never just sit back and do nothing.

There is something called chilli thrips here in Texas. So far I do not have them. Roselee got rid of all her roses once she got them. So far it is not on my roses.

Here is a link that might be useful: chilli thrtips

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Well, I am only one year behind you, so there you are. I have read about the chille thrips and don't want to see them. the Japanese beetles are enough. Admittedly I have seen improvement if I can stick to organics and no high nitrogen fertilizers.

Well, my silly hydrangea is an Endless Summer and was pink when I planted it, but my ground is acetic, so it is blue now. I will post pictures and direct them to you when it blooms, so you can at least enjoy it vicariously. And you can post pics of the pink for me. I understand that delphiniums like lime, so if you aren't too near the coast, you might be able to grow them and they are heavenly blue.

kay

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kay, have you seen this vine? It is a bright blue like in the photo I borrowed off the internet. I have seedlings now.
    For what ever reason, heat?, delphs have to be annuals here. But larkspur does great.
    We always want what is rare to us I guess.

Kathy