Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dyhgarden

Rudbeckia ID needed

DYH
11 years ago

I've sown so many seeds and I can't find the photos of all of my seed packets. Can you help me ID this? It's already over waist high. I've been cutting back stems for bushier plants and it's quite a thick stand, getting ready to bloom all over.

Thanks,

Cameron

{{gwi:673517}}

Comments (6)

• ianna
    11 years ago

It's a Rudbeckia Hirta - an annual in my zone. I think it would be more of a perennial in your area. But I don't know for sure. They are spectacular though.

• DYH
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! That's what I was hoping.

The foliage emerged last year after I sowed the seeds, so this is the first time it has bloomed. The foliage was green all winter, so I think it will be a perennial. I'm going to be overrun with this if it self-sows as prolifically as I think.

There's much more in my deer resistant garden. The deer herd generally leaves it alone, but while a doe was staying close to her fawn during the day, she "pinched back" a few for me. Saved me the work of doing it! Sometimes, the deer can be quite helpful.

• Matt
    11 years ago

It's a biennial. I have one just about to bloom (like tmrw) in southern md. It will bloom profusely all summer, drop seed in fall, and when the first hard frost fells them, it will die. Luckily they are extremely prolific and without a doubt will reseed happily for many years to come. If you don't trust nature snip a few heads before 6-8 wks after they've bloomed, allowing them to cure and become viable, and plant where desired. Rudbeckia needs cold stratification so do this in the fall.

• DYH
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the info! Self-sowing is preferable to me, but I will collect seeds, too for insurance.

• brpinson
    11 years ago

Great plant...EASY plant, looks good with salvia guaranitica or Indigo Spires in my zone 8b garden. Also Bronze fennel...picks up the brown color of the seed head. Once you have it, you will have it forever. I'm a zone warmer than you, and it is blooming like crazy here...also, a really good cut flower---you can cut half the plant back for flowers and never notice it. Always been surprised more people don't grow it...this is a lazy gardener's plant..go figure.

• DYH
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have bronze fennel in a few locations, but not inside the cottage garden.

In the cottage garden, I do have the rudbeckia ready to bloom beside my salvia guaranitica 'Black & Blue' and more beside salvia facinacea 'Victoria Blue'....along with coneflowers, phlox 'David', eucomis 'Sparkling Burgundy', coreopsis 'Star Cluster'.

Glad to hear it's such a great plant. I'm truly impressed by the germination rate of the seeds that I sowed! I'd love to cut bouquets, so that's good to know. With all of our rain, even with pinching back early on, the plants would be better a bit shorter in my cottage garden.

In my deer resistant meadow garden, I have this rudbeckia growing beside stipa grass and it's going to be a great combo.

Thanks,
    Cameron

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County