Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_16331601

will be in Victoria BC Saturday

User
11 years ago

Yep this Saturday...June 2nd ! I fly in from Atlanta to Seattle and then on to Victoria. I am meeting 2 new friends there, both natives of the area, and my cycling friend from Wisconsin. All 4 of us will be riding around town on Sat-Sun and then on Monday 3 of us start working our way up the Galloping Goose bike trail and then back roads to Cowichan Bay and Duncan/Crofton ...we camp in Crofton the first night. We will be stopping at the Fine Grain Bakery in Cowichan Bay for bread.

We will take the ferry at the end of the Island back to Prince Rupert and from there will spend 3 months getting to St Johns Newfoundland .

I know that there are such amazing gardens on the island and I am looking forward to seeing as many as I can. I will try and post as I work my way along the highways and byways of Canada. Wish me luck and lots of sunshine...and NO bears :) c

Comments (8)

• ogrose_tx
    11 years ago

Wow, that really sounds fun!! Please keep us posted, and we love pics, too...

• natal
    11 years ago

C, do you still post on the Cooking forum? I think AnnT lives in Duncan.

Hope you have great biking weather!

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Natal...not usually . I did post to dcarch's thread on Chinese last week. I had forgotten that Ann lives there. We will be "on the road" and not able to stop when we are in the Duncan area. Heading for the campsite at Crofton. I will send her an email...you never know. Thanks for the heads up and the good wishes ! c

• ianna
    11 years ago

Trailrunner, that's amazing. You should have a blog and post your stories. BC you will love. As soon as you past the Rocky Mountains into Alberta, it will be flat lands from there - continuing into Saskatchewan.

A friend of mine took approx 2 weeks to bike the El Camino in Spain. He now wants to do exactly what you are about to do.

I'm excited for you and your group. Bike safe though.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ianna...THANK YOU for your well wishes too :) I have a friend that is walking the Pilgrimage route this Summer. Small world.

Too bad your friend isn't ready to do it now...we can use more company. My riding partner from Wisconsin did a ride from top of Alaska to the bottom of Mexico. He said the Dempster Hwy was quite a challenge. COLD !! ROCKS !! I won't ever be doing that.

We will be coming into the states just west of Winnipeg and then returning to Canada at the Sault. We are afraid of the road north of the lake as many cyclists have been killed/injured/reported how bad the road is with traffic and no shoulder. We have to be safe.

I will perhaps be doing a blog on Crazy Guy on a bike. I will post the link if I decide to do it. Thanks again. c

• Calamity_J
    11 years ago

I have lived here all my life and have never seen a bear as of yet! I camp alot too. I hope you enjoy the Island!!! Cowichan Garden Club has an event happening this saturday! I hope you do post your adventure! My hubby lives for his biking!!! He'd be sooo jealous of this great trip you are doing!

• girlgroupgirl
    11 years ago

You will, indeed love BC. It is a beautiful time to see Canada! Have fun.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

calamity...both women have lived there and cycled for most of their lives. We are primarily talking about the area near/in the Rockies. The one gal started the trip and turned back there were so many bears on the road...she was riding Hwy 3 across BC..right at the US/CA border. She said there were mom's and their cubs by the road. She was careful in camp but psyched herself out at night when she heard rustling. So she went back to Victoria and answered our ad. Will have bear spray and keep it handy !

GGG,,,I have been to Vancouver in the past and loved it. Really looking forward to all the beauty. I will take pics :) Thank you both !! c