Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
schoolhouse_gw

Perennials in crescent bed this year

schoolhouse_gw
10 years ago

Instead of the annual blue salvia I plant in this bed every year, I'm trying the perennial variety (aka Meadow Sage), the blue and the white. Added a few orange zinnias for some contrast. Because this bed gets full sun nearly all day the salvia is always a good choice when soil tends to be more dry during summer. I purposely planted them close together, so will see if this was a good idea as the years go by and they mature. They were small and pot bound but seem to have stretched their toes quite a bit already. I'll keep them deadheaded for continued bloom right up until late Fall.

Sorry about poor photos, look blurry for some reason. Trimmed the boxwood in April and can't believe the long new growth on the sides already as I normally won't trim again until July.

{{gwi:673741}}

{{gwi:673742}}

Comments (12)

• luckygal
    10 years ago

Good idea to use the perennial variety to save some work each spring. Do they have the same bloom time as the annuals? A very pretty plant.

Love the shape of that bed. Very creative!

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks. Yes, they should bloom all summer into Fall just like the annual variety. At least my others do in other parts of the garden, this is an experiment in this bed. The annual salvia makes it through the hottest and driest summers here - for me anyway. That is why I have always planted them . Tried other plant combos but always went back to the salvia.

Frost advisory for tonight. I'm wondering if I should go out and cover those orange zinnias or just take a chance that they make it.

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

They bed is very pretty. I have a 4'X8' bed of salvias...Hot lips, Navajo, and black and blue. all are perennial here, and the hummers and butterflies love them.
    kay

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    10 years ago

Lookin' good schoolhouse :), I love seeing pictures of your garden you are one talented gal.

Annette

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

Your garden is gorgeous! I love the mixture of plants in the cresent bed. Perfect colors and forms.

• Oakley
    10 years ago

Beautiful! Blue Salvia are my favorites.

• BecR
    10 years ago

Hi Schoolhouse~

Have always loved your gardens, Schoolhouse! The clipped hedges and topiaries are perfection!!

Am loving your blue and white perennial salvias with those rich orange zinnias for contrast--so attractive!! A great color combination!! I too am loving perennials vs annuals, much less work that way plus fun to see them return each year. Hope your zinnias made it through the frost!

XO Becky

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

A beautifully shaped and planted bed, but it looks to me as though the boxwood is too high and wide for the garden.

• Sandi_W
    10 years ago

I love the salvia and zinnias in the bed together. I love the whole area. It's hard to believe a frost advisory in almost mid-May. Your pictures are always an inspiration to me.

• User
    10 years ago

Hi schoolhouse,..that is a lovely shaped bed and the Salvia are striking in there,..protected against wind as well,..the tree at the far end of the bed really adds to the picture,..it raises the eyes up and back again to the Salvia,..everything looks lush.

Philip

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone. It's growing really nicely. And I did cover the zinnias with pots for two nights. The first night we really got a frost,the next not so much. I probably should pinch back all the zinnia blooms to encourage more growth. Will have to do the same with the salvia at this rate.

Mantis, the boxwood hedge is appx. 15" X 11" wide, not sure what the exact measurements of the entire bed are. Did you mean the interior appears too small for the amount of plants? Height of the salvia can reach 18". I think it will look better once the second trimming of the ext.and interior sides of the hedge is done. Looks a little shaggy right now. Plus I always tell my fellow Cottagers that my garden always looks bigger in my photos. lol

• Annie
    10 years ago

Beautiful and inspirational as always, my friend.
    I love Salvias and Sages. So colorful.
    Hummingbirds and bees of all kinds love their flowers.
    I love Meadow Sage "May Night". I have one left but it is a beauty and is blooming right now. The honeybees are all over it.
    Didn't know it came in white. How Lovely!
    How tall will the zinnias grow to be?

Post again later when the plants get taller.
    I totally love it.

~Annie

Sponsored