Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
schoolhouse_gw

Another new project

schoolhouse_gw
11 years ago

I wanted to raise these urns a little higher this year, so this past weekend I bought some concrete pedestals for them. Well, they weren't exactly what I wanted and ended up being too narrow and too tall, so took those back. In the mean time I found an extra concrete foundation block laying around and suddenly had my pedestals. The blocks are concrete but made to look like stone. I started using them alot some years ago because they are much easier for me to lift and work with even tho they still have quite a bit of weight to them. Only had one, so took the first pedestals back and with the refund money bought another foundation stone.

I think it looks better than before when the urns sat on the ground on a flat paving brick. The wall will have to be tweaked a little as I just placed the extra stone on that one end of the wall where I removed it when making room for the blocks. I also notice that the birdbath in the background is the same height, but that could be a photo thing.

{{gwi:673837}}

Comments (8)

• Sandi_W
    11 years ago

schoolhouse, I like the urns raised. In fact, I like the whole area. Do you have anything planted in front of the pile of stones? Not sure I like the way I worded that because it's prettier than my words sound.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No, I don't plant in front of the short wall just (try to) keep edged and mulched. The wall has been there a long time so the stones do look like a pile. :) needs to be re-stacked some day.

• plantmaven
    11 years ago

What a great idea. They look fantastic. I probably would not have noticed they were not part of the urns if you had not told us.

• Sandi_W
    11 years ago

And I was just thinking that I wish I had enough rocks to "pile" like you have. Looking closer I see they are stacked. I'm so sorry for my bad choice of words. But whatever word is used, it's a great area that I would love to incorporate into my yard.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well sandi you are right though - before you can STACK a wall you have to have a big PILE of stones. Sure takes alot for even a small project. I bet you could do it.

• threedogsmom
    11 years ago

Will you fill the urns with colorful annuals? It looks like something from a White Flower Farm Catalog. I can envision a riot of bright petunias spilling over the sides of the urns, with cascading sweet potato vine, a tall flamboyant elephant ear anchoring each pot, and sun coleus filling in the middle. I love having pots like that to switch up each year and try out new color combos. The Proven Winners website also has a neat tool for designing potted combos. Have fun and post pics of the finished product!

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No, I don't plant these particular urns because the have no drainage holes and are terra cotta. Now I have drilled holes in the bottoms of terra cotta planters before but I don't want to risk it with these urns. They are my favorites and have had them a long time. Besides, not much room inside for a good root system for more than a couple petunias and something else. I'd be lying tho if I said I never thought about planting them - maybe artificial flowers? ha I have others I plant flowers in but I'm not a very good container gardener and more often than not fail. Geraniums do the best for me.

My one concern is the since the urns are up higher, my curious cat will think them a fine place to sit! Crash.

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

They look great. Mine came with a very similar pedestal, but they broke off, so now they sit on the ground and the pedestals support other things. Now you've got me thinking...
    Renee

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting