Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
schoolhouse_gw

Ice Cream Tulip

schoolhouse_gw
13 years ago

Anyone else see these, what do you think? I first saw them advertised in a magazine and they are kind of cute. Do you suppose they really look like this when blooming?

Here is a link that might be useful: Brecks' Ice Cream Tulip

Comments (26)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    13 years ago

I think that's the most unusual tulip I've ever seen. I can see them planted in a pot inside a cone shaped wicker basket :).

I bought a couple more fringed varieties last fall, 'Sensual Touch' and 'Barbados', both quite pretty. Also a mix of whites, mauves and purples and a few green/white striped.

The tulips did so well for me this spring it looks like I'll be buying more in the fall.

Annette

• skibby (zone 4 Vermont)
    13 years ago

Wow! I've never seen anything like it. Even if they don't look exactly like that, I've never seen an ugly tulip. It's going on the list.

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    12 years ago

Planted some last fall. I remembered this thread and thought you might enjoy seeing them outside of a magazine setting. Did you guys ever get any? What do you think of yorus if you did? They really arn't as big as the pics online. They are interesting, but they really need to plant them in a good location to be seen.

I do like them with these Bellis perennis though...
    {{gwi:673908}}

{{gwi:198944}}
    CMK

• neverenoughflowers
    12 years ago

Wow, those are really neat! I haven't commented for a while but have been here everyday. These made me log in. I just can't get over them. If I didn't have such a horrendous deer problem, I'd order them right now.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I forgot all about those ice cream tulips. Oh my goodness. They look....unreal, I can't believe my eyes! Are you sure you didn't put cottage cheese or styrofoam inside some pink tulips you had in your garden??? Just kidding! Thank you so much for posting the photos. They are a sensation. I must buy some this fall if they still are selling them. Wouldn't they make a great gift for gardening friends, too?

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I did a quick Google and it appears they are sold out or not available anymore?

12 years ago

-LOL! They do look as if someone topped it with whipped cream though!

-neverenoughflowers, glad you like ;-)

-Christine, looks like Burpee has them 5 for $15. That is a great deal since Brecks was 3 for $20.
    CMK

Here is a link that might be useful: Ice Cream at Burpee

• oceanna
    12 years ago

I'm so glad you posted this. I've never seen them before and I want some. Couldn't find any available now, so we'll have to wait a while. Delightful.

Christine, what a great combo.

• sarahrock
    12 years ago

Wow those are... unusual. I feel like I need to touch them to prove to myself that it's real and not cottage cheese, like schoolhouse said! Maybe it's because I don't eat dairy, but I think they aren't really for me. :)

• mytime
    12 years ago

Wow, those are really unique looking. Everytime I swear off a plant (in the case of tulips because the moose come chomp of the tops just as they're ready to bloom), I see some variety that makes me try again.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Burpees is "currently out of stock". :(

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh, right, maybe I need to check back in the Fall. Duh.

• trovesoftrilliums
    12 years ago

Those are really wild! I have never seen a tulip anything like that before. Thanks for posting.

About deer and tulips, I use a 4ft by 6ft piece of wire panel and make an arch over my tulips. I put the 4ft edge into the ground (the ones I got from Lowe's had about 2inches of wire sticking out on the 4ft) and then bend it over across the tulips and anchor the other 4ft side into the ground. That way it makes a nice archway over the tulips. This year tulips grew over the wire, but deer still left them alone. Ones outside of the arches did get munched. From a distance they are not too obvious. I also use these over veggies, strawberries and lilies.

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

Those are so neat! Schoolhouse, I'm glad you started this thread because I had really wondered about them. They are adorable, aren't they?
    kay

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    12 years ago

I purchased one pack last fall at a great local nursery and was disappointed with mine. The white part on top never really came up like in the picture. Plus mine turned brown really, really quick. I wondered if they had thrips like lots of my roses did but I never did check them. I am hoping they will perform better with time. The picture really makes ya want them though. Your pic of them looks great CMK and look soooo pretty with the little pink flowers. Glad yours did so good for you. Judy

12 years ago

Well, here is a pic of it from today. It seems once the bloom matures the big "dollop" on top goes away and the tulip cups inward, as if someone took a big ol' bite out of my ice cream!!! Lol. Still kind of cute though.
    {{gwi:673911}}
    CMK

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, I think they are still very unique. Thanks for the new pic, christin.

• Min3 South S.F. Bay CA
    12 years ago

mytime- good luck if you plant these new tulips.
    you make me feel guilty complaining about my one pound gophers. i can't imagine seeing a MOOSE in my garden! the dogs and i would probably die of fright. i just saw a nature show about how much a 7 foot high adult moose weighs and how fast they can run. yikes!
    min

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

CMK- Those are wonderful! My mom has wanted to try some and I'm going to show her your pictures. If they do well for you, they should do well for her :)

• mytime
    12 years ago

Min3--they are scary when I have to go out in the dark to close down the greenhouse...a couple of nights ago DH had to stand guard for me because a moose wouldn't leave the yard. We'd scare it off and 2 minutes later it would be back. It even climbed up in the raised peony bed and knocked out all the peony rings I had just put in that day.

• Min3 South S.F. Bay CA
    12 years ago

mytime- well i can't imagine how you grow ANYTHING! do they eat all your veggies?
    does "standing guard" mean- with a gun?
    how does someone scare off a moose?
    min

• mytime
    12 years ago

min3--no gun, just watching from the deck where he can see if one is coming from behind the greenhouse or around the corner of the house and warn me. We start trying to scare them with just noise and waving our arms, but sometimes have to move on to throwing rocks or snowballs (depending on the season). They eat our broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, peas, and cabbage, the apples and cherries (both the branches and the fruit), the raspberry and blueberry bushes, and certain of the flowers (bergenia is a springtime favorite of theirs).

And if I can find those tulips, they'll be eating those! But I have to try them...Christinmk, thanks for posting both sets of pictures...I like them both ways.

• oceanna
    12 years ago

Mytime, I'm amazed if you're yelling and waving your arms that he didn't charge you.

A friend of mine tells me she knew better. She was only 12 and the moose her father the forest ranger was nursing back to health had gotten out of the pen and onto the porch by the door where she needed to enter after school. Mistake #1: She yelled and waved her arms.

The moose charged her and she took off running around her dad's car, with the moose on one side of the car and her dodging on the other side. Then she spied the lock button up on the door, so she jumped into the car. Mistake #2: She honked the horn.

The moose proceeded to ram the dickens out of her dad's car.

I asked, "What happened when your dad came home?" She said, he made me pick my own punishment, so I had to shovel a lot of animal waste for the next three months. She said the funny part was her dad trying to explain to the insurance agent what had happened to the car. lol

You're VERY brave to be taking on a moose.

• mytime
    12 years ago

oceanna...not so brave. We mostly do that from a high deck. But not from the low deck, where it was standing by the front door last week, eating the potted blueberry bushes I had just bought.

12 years ago

-Judy, that stinks that yours didn't do very well ;-( Could it have been anything like fireblight??
    Maybe Ice cream tulips are like wine and cheese and get better with age!! Hope yours do well next spring...
    CMK

• Min3 South S.F. Bay CA
    12 years ago

mytime- is there such a thing as moose-proof fencing? if there is, i don't think you should ever go outside without that kind of fence around you, especially after oceanna's story! the nature show said a moose can run 35 mph!
    min

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!