Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loisthegardener_nc7b

Alabama Crimson vs Major Wheeler

Hi, I just bought a Major Wheeler honeysuckle vine to replace my Alabama Crimson that gets deformed flowers (mildew?) every spring. I am not sure how big Major Wheeler gets. Does anyone have both, and can they comment on size, shade of red (amount of orange in the color), and any other differences?

Thanks,

Lois in PA

Comments (12)

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

The descriptions in the nursery literature I recieved when I ordered for a local nursery gave exactly the same description that NewYorkRita gave. She nailed it!
    My alabama crimson happens to be bright orange, but it blooms only once, where as Major Wheeler (still in a container) blooms all summer (but struggles to do so, as I torture it) Blanche Sandiman blooms from spring to fall for me too.

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That's great information; I didn't know I could whack them back. My Alabama Crimson does rebloom almost constantly all summer, but the first wave always gets deformed flowers.

Does Major Wheeler has less orange in the flower color?

Thanks!

Lois in PA

• newyorkrita
    13 years ago

Major Wheeler is pretty much all red. When it opens it does have some orange glow from the throat. I think Alabama Crimson was pretty similiar, I don't have one right now so I can't go look. If I saw one at the local nursery, I would buy it but haven't seen it since mine died after I moved it.

They really do look better if you prune them some. Best time is early spring before they get growing. It keeps them fuller if you do some pruning. But then I leave the Major Wheeler in my backyard alone, never do a thing to it and it looks fine. Just rambles all over the place. If I didn't want it to travel into the neighboring crab apple, I would trim it back.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    13 years ago

Well, my interest was peaked yesterday when reading this thread, then I see on the HIGHLINE Park p*lant list that they also used Major Wheeler. It is listed as blooming all season until frost. Ok, where can I get one? [g]

• newyorkrita
    13 years ago

High Country Gardens sells it.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    13 years ago

Thank you Rita! :-)

• threedogsmom
    13 years ago

I bought one this spring from HCG and it has been pretty slow to take off. I hope the warmth will stimulate it to grow faster and give my hummingbirds something to feast on. That is the reason I bought it !

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I imagine these vines have the sleep-creep-leap syndrome and probably don't show much growth above ground as they get their roots established for the first year or so.

• christopher_papachristou_ehi_com
    12 years ago

just bought two from Romance Gardens (http://www.romencegardens.com/) HCG had some rough reviews. Both my MWs arrive well packed and they had nice root balls. They are in shock but appear to be doing OK. Romance Gardens communication has been unbelievable. I ordered two other plants at the same time and they emailed me each time my order shipped and followed up. They held my last two plants until they rooted more and shipped them separately at their expense.

Cant wait to see these Major Wheelers scramble up this fence i built for them!

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

Except that vine I bought from HCG last fall is pretty precocious. I is already past the creep stage.
    kay

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The major wheeler that I got last year is certainly healthy and looks like it will bloom. It's not leaping (yet) so I think I have another year to decide where to put it before it decides for me. :)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz