{{gwi:674678}}

Iris Row

{{gwi:674680}}

Rhinelander

Comments (13)

• silverkelt
    12 years ago

Rita,

I think I need to order my bearded iris..

i will stick with the fairly cheap ones, becuase I no doubt will lose them, but after getting one to bloom today and seeing your pics.. I really want some colour in what is otherwise green city out in my gardens. I have about a 10 so far out there. I think I could just pop in about 20 more here and there, at least give color to sections of the garden before roses and daylilies start blooming. I love the japanese iris, but they are late bloomers really near the rose blooming time, so again a start of summer time frame on those.

Thank you for sharing!

Silverkelt

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I got into the Tall Bearded because I was looking for a bloom season before the daylilies started. This way I have lots to look at and take pictures of way before daylily season.

Here is a place I bought lots from last year that have gorgeous iris at very, very reasonable prices. I don't think it is too cold at all in your zone to grow bearded iris.

Here is a link that might be useful: Napa Iris

• silverkelt
    12 years ago

Its not at all the cold , its the moth that lays its eggs and then hatches the nasty larvae. They particular love tb iris, they seem to ignore siberian and japanese ones in my garden anyways.

I already have enough to do in the garden. I refuse to dig up tubers to squish larvae.

Thats why its cheap ones for me, less than 5 bucks . There are plenty that are pretty in that price range and if I lose them.. Its tolerable, more like a short lived perennial that way. Something you can enjoy for a few seasons anyways..

Silverkelt

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I don't know much about borers but wouldn't a systemic insect control work on them?

• journalbee
    12 years ago

your irises are beautiful. how close do you plant them?

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mine need to be divided every two years as they are only 16-18 inches apart. I really would recommend that if you have the room you plant them further apart. I just don't have the room to do so.

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

Breathtaking Rita! I love your pictures! Thanks a bunch for posting another site for me to drool over. I have only a few spaces. I have to remember that. The purples are dynamite! And you did a great job combining and contrasting.
    kay

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I put a lot of color into that upstairs iris bed and for the most part I am pleased. It is difficult to get them arrainged so that the colors are just right when you only had pictures to go by, they are not always totally accurate. Sometimes I have to move some arround but not much or maybe at all in that bed.

Were I don't do as well with colors is when its the last order of the year and I have saved some spots. Like in Tower Square Garden. I have too many deep dark purples and purple blacks. I need some contrasting lighter colors. I am thinking of moving in some light blues and moving out some of the really dark ones. Not out of the garden, I mean into another area.

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

Stunning! Want my address when you run out of room? :)

I am waiting on an order from Napa.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

They are slow. Last year I told them to ship in mid July and they shipped in Mid August. But they really have lots of pretty ones and their prices are quite cheap.

I have run out of room. Just as well as getting older and I couldn't take care of a bigger garden. I just keep fussing with mine.

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

Those are gorgeous! Thanks for showing your beautiful gardens.

• oceanna
    12 years ago

They are sooo beautiful, Rita! Whenever I see your name on a thread I can't wait to open it to see more of your gorgeous yard. I love iris. It is stunning the way you have the colors grouped. You are such a good gardener.

Mine are closer together than yours, and mixed colors. They are about to bloom soon. Can't wait! One of these days I'll need to space them out.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all for your kind comments. You know I love to take and post pictures of my yard. I like lots of vivid color and Tall Bearded Iris certainly do have lots of color.

Plus I like a sucession of blooms in the garden. So things started off with a bang here in early spring with the daffodils and then the tulips. Lots of flowering shrubs, lupines and then the iris. Now my roses are almost ready to bloom, you all will be seeing them soon. Meantime there is plenty more of the iris show to come.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm