Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scully931

Foxglove and coneflower question

scully931
14 years ago

I think I lost all my beautiful pink foxglove from last year!

So, I know they are biennials, but the foliage would come up every year, right? And it would be up already? They were so healthy last year! :-( I wonder if it was the cold weather or what.

Also, cone flowers reseed, right? I think I have a bunch growing in my garden and I don't want to pull them thinking they are weeds.

Thanks for answering my questions! I'd like to pull the foxglove remnants up but wanted to make sure about the foliage first.

Comments (13)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    14 years ago

My foxgloves reseed throughout the garden, I usually get 3 or four years out of them if I cut the flower stocks before they go to seed. We went down to -4F a few nights which didn't bother the foxgloves at all. Mine haven't started to form their flowering stems yet. Below a pic of a coneflower seedling.

Annette

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:674849}}

• scully931
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, I guess I can hope that the foxgloves have reseeded. Thanks for the pic on the coneflower!

• libbyshome
    14 years ago

I have a large patch of cornflowers that seeded themselves last year and began to grow. All through the winter freezes and snow, they still stood tall. Now, they are just beginning to flower.
    They are certainly as hardy as foxgloves (in my garden).

Libby

• gldno1
    14 years ago

In zone 6, in my area, foxgloves have never reseeded for me. I have a flat of seedlings I will put in now for next year's bloom. The ones I have blooming now will not be back for me next year, no green, nothing. I plan to just start a few under the lights each year. They are worth the extra work I think.

I just have the pink and white coneflowers and they do reseed nicely. I sometimes dig up the seedlings and relocate them.

• blueberryhills
    14 years ago

Mine never reseed either (zone 7). This year I bought 1/2 a flat of plants with high hopes. I wonder if they just don't take the heat and humidity, the ones I've had that bloomed in the past fizzle when the heat comes.

• scully931
    Original Author
    14 years ago

When you say reseed do you mean they will never come back at all? Or just that when they skip their year (being biennials) no foliage comes up?

I guess my question is to leave the dead looking roots in for next year or not.

Thanks! :-)

• jennypat Zone 3b NW MN
    14 years ago

Foxgloves are a biennial, but that does not mean you won't get foliage. What will happen is this, year one you plant the seed, they grow, but just produce foliage. The foliage dies back over winter. Year two, the foliage comes back, and the plant puts up a stalk that blooms. Usually after that the foliage dies for good.

Now in my area, my foxgloves that were first year last year, did not come back. This means they died over winter, could be for a number of reasons, but I expect that it was just to cold for them here.

If you have dead looking roots still, my instinct says that the plant is gone.

HTH
    Jenny P

• scully931
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ohhhh... interesting.
    I never knew they died after flowering. That explains it. Too bad, they were gorgeous and I pictured them just getting bigger and bigger. Hmm... think I'll look for some seeds. Kind of expensive if I lose them every year.
    Thanks!

• DYH
    14 years ago

Not quite the same, but verbascum gives you a similar shape as foxgloves. Mine bloom several times during the summer (right now is the biggest bloom time). It takes about 2 years to get them going from small plants, but I really like them and just added more. I have 'Southern Charm' which doesn't seed out, but a lot of the other varieties will and that can be a problem in some areas. Most work in zones 5-9. Mine take part sun to full sun. Tough plants.

Cameron

• madronebc_sbcglobal_net
    13 years ago

I had 3 small cone flower plants in pots that I put in the ground last November. They have grown very large however no flowers have appeared. The plant looks very healthy and I don't know what the problem could be. Any ideas?
    Thanks.

• scully931
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That happened on some of mine which were planted the previous fall. The following year they exploded with flowers! I'd just give it a year. :-)

• krycek1984
    13 years ago

Do make sure your foxgloves aren't mulched. It is fairly common to overlook this because so many people mulch. If there is mulch underneath and around the foxglove, the chances are much lower that any seeds will sprout.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    13 years ago

Does anyone have crooked growing foxglove? Mine are zigzagging, its not as charming as i envisioned...lol

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting