Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
schoolhouse_gw

Neighbors cut all along their side of the fence

schoolhouse_gw
9 years ago

And cut down to the ground, an older, very large and beautiful Oakleaf Hydrangea....sigh. When I was talking to she and her man a couple weeks ago, she was saying that she wanted to cut everything done along "there". I was worried, because there are pretty little scrub trees and wild honeysuckle in there that was the last of the privacy screen. Right then and there I should have mentioned the Oakleaf. Jane knows zilch about plants and trees so I'm sure she just thought it was a dead scrub bush because hydrangeas leave out and flower much later.

I knew the Oakleaf because I had planted it! Years ago when I didn't realize where the property line was, yes I was stupid but didn't think anyone would cut down such a beautiful shrub let alone such an expensive one. Well, thanks for letting me vent. I am sad.

Comments (7)

• bossyvossy
    9 years ago

Can't you uproot what's left and plant where u want? Bet she wouldn't mind and also betting that the strong rootball will survive. Unless they poisoned the stuff

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's old. I wouldn't be able physically to dig that up myself. And how many years would it take to grow that tall again? Plus there are so many nearby roots of pine trees(what's left, they cut perfectly good mature pine trees down because needles got into their above ground pool - which they hardly use anymore) and other scrub trees. If she's thinking of planting all new things there - that would be nice, if she knows what to plant - but digging holes to do so is going to be a nightmare for her. I just have to stop thinking about it, but I will mention it in a friendly way the next time I see her. "Oh by they way, you DO know you cut down a wonderful Oakleaf Hydrangea down to the ground don't you?". ugh.

Guess I'm really the idiot for planting it there in the first place so I should shut up. However, my one consolation is perhaps whoever cut it along with the rest recognized it as being dead? maybe it didn't survive the winter? It's hard to tell with hydrangeas unless you nick the bark for any sign of green.

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

Schoolhouse- How sad! Neighbors...I know they can do anything they want with their property, but it would be nice if they shared your love of a privacy screen.

On a brighter note...maybe find a good deal on a smaller Oakleaf Hydrangea and plant it on your side of the fence. Yes, it may take time to grow tall, but it could be a tribute to the one you lost :)

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Lass. The thing is, I don't really have a spot on my side for a large hydrangea like an Oakleaf. It had such large beautiful flower heads every year too, I can't believe she didn't notice it.

She has a new man living with her now and he may be trying to impress, because he (I'm assuming) has really been cleaning up the place over there. Hauling logs that were left where they lay after the pines were cut several years ago, moving junk out of the yard, laying gravel in the driveway. Who knows it might actually turn out for the best especially if they plant shrubs there. I know you understand about wanting privacy, so thanks.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

My oakleaf died to the ground one winter and two years after you wouldn't have known. It doesn't look good this year after our bad winter, so I may be set back again. This winter may have knocked yours down also anyway. I'd let them know its a nice plant, talk them into marking it so they leave it alone and see what happens.

tj

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well that gives me hope tsugajunkie. I'll mention it to her.

You know, today is another day; and I'm feeling better about what they did down there. I have to say it really looks nice. Not sure they'll be able to keep it weed and brush free but they were correct in what needed done. Sometimes change is hard esp. at first.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    9 years ago

That is quite sad. Also since not just a privacy screen, but I'm sure also a nice habitat for a lot of critters.........

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County