Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

New More Clematis, HoneySuckle Vines, Dahias.

newyorkrita
13 years ago

I set out this morning to go to a local nursery here and buy some bags of compost. Before I hit that nursery I also went to another local one looking for Hollyhocks. It was too early for hollyhocks, none to be found. But I saw the most beautulful Clematis in full bloom. Yikes, I have no self control. I bought three of them even though I just planted those twelve mail order clematis yeaterday.

I have MRS CHOLMONDELEY, NELLIE MOSER and WILL GOODWIN. The fist and last are shimmering light violet purple. Stunning. What I don't like about buying locally is that they never put the prunning group so I will have to look these all up.

Then I bought two trumpet Honeysuckles. MAJOR WHEELER and DROPMORE SCARLET. I have a MAJOR WHEELER and love it. The most red of all the trumpet honeysuckles and never stops blooming.

Two potted Dahlia tubs in full bloom. I just looked and it doesn't give the variety name. One is red with white tips the other a blend of colors in the orange peach range. Both drop dead gorgeous.

Another 6 pack of tomatoes. You might remember I have already bought some tomato plants and have no place to plant any of them.

Also a little pot of blue morning glories. And a topiary support that I am going to use as a structure for vines to climb.

Oh, I did remember to buy the compost I went out for :-))

Will take and post pictures later of my stunning new Clematis, Honeysuckles and Dahlias.

Comments (11)

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

I like shopping Vicarously through you, NYRita!

Today my Pineapple Guava replacement arrived!!! It is from edible Landscaping in VA and I am thrilled with the size and quality of plant. Worth every penny! I'll be planting it beside the angel red pomegranite in a few days for my edible hedge!

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have bought plants from Edible Landscaping. In fact my Regent Serviceberries and Illinios Everbearing Mulberry are from there.

• lisa33
    13 years ago

Ha ha ha...I totally relate. I went to the best garden center in my area today with a few rose leaves to get a definitive diagnosis on what is eating them (rose slug). $95 and 16 herb and veggie plants later...I did, in fact, remember to get insecticide. I can't resist!! I have no willpower when it comes to beautiful plants. I might need to move in a year or so because I'm running out of space. LOL.

Good shopping, Rita!

Lisa

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    13 years ago

Rita, you scored big time, a gal after my own heart. Your clemies are all group 2 as far as pruning goes. Mrs. C has huge flowers if I remember correctly. Around here we plant Nelly Moser in a slightly shaded position as the sun bleaches out her delicate colors, she's one I keep meaning to buy, she's absolutely gorgeous in the right light. Will Goodman is another beauty, you did good girl.

I bought a couple more of the anemone flowering dahlias this year, now where to put them, that's a head scratcher LOL.

Annette

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

Rita,
    I love it. You are a true fellow shopping addict. Nelly Moser is the only one of the three clematis I have, and she likes a little shade to keep here nice color. She has been a really good grower for me. Look at Clematis on the Web, and you can find out about most clematis.

I just got 15 calla lilly bulbs from Brent and Becky. No, of course I don't know where I am going to plant them! What difference could that possibly make?

kay

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I already have run out of space. But there is no way I would move. After all these years working by butt off in the garden to finially get it too look like this. The idea of starting over is just impossible. I could never do it all again. And I love everything that is here, I could never leave it.

I love dahlias when I buy them already growing in pots. When I try to do them myself I make a mess of it. This year I do have some dahlias tubers and have finially learned how I should be growing dahlias. I have been doing it wrong so no wonder I had no great success. But today I thought why all the bother. I don't start them under lights and started now, they might flower by July. Buy the darn pots and I have flowers now and all summer until frost. I think thats what I will do from now on.

The Clematis are just sooooo gorgeous. I can't even begin to describe the color of the light purple. Of course, the plants locally were almost twice the price of the mail order ones.

Thanks for the prunning group tip, I haven't gotten a chance to look that up yet. I have another obelisk in my basement for years that I had never ever put together yet. Looks like I am going to be needing it.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kay, you posted while I was writing my post above. There are times I truely do not want to get more stuff for the garden and the only way I manage it is to just not go to any nurseries. The one I got the clematis at today I only went to the first time this spring today. You never know what you will find there. Its a place I bought many, many of my roses as they have hundreds of roses there. Today I didn't even look in the rose isles, not needing any more roses.

Callas would only be annuals here so I never bother with them. Have enough annuals as it is, ha ha.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It was also a good day for me to buy new Clematis. The ones for sale were blooming. My old ones at home were blooming and I knew what looked liked what. I remembered the ones from mail order, just having planted yesterday. So I wasn't going to accendently buy a duplicate plant. In fact they had THE PRESIDENT there blooming and I immediately zeroed in on it. Saw the tag, knew I just planted it, so didn't buy. They had BEES JUBILEE also and I was glad to see it as it was so pretty.

I have no idea yet were I will put these but at least I know were the honeysuckle vines go. I bought those becase I was looking for a honeysuckle on a trellis that one died on last year. The trellis is so wide that two will fit just fine there.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here are the Dahlias I bought yesterday. I don't seem to have remembered to take pictures of my new clematis, will have to do so tomorrow.

{{gwi:675055}}

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

MRS CHOLMONDELEY, which was planted a long time ago (seems likle it anyway) is starting to bloom today. I will have to get pictures tomorrow. I have it rambling up this dwarf mulbery tree I have.

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

Those are pretty, Rita. I love dahlias. My tall purple/pink started to bloom on the weekend. The red seem to be having problems though, parts are dying off.
    The yellows are back again after not seeing them last year. I think they were in too much shade. I'm surprised to see the reds. I thought they were an annual type and would not form a tuber. I was wrong!!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting