Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
schoolhouse_gw

Vigna Caracalla Corkscrew Vine

schoolhouse_gw
12 years ago

Just picked up three of these plants at my favorite nursery. I wanted the Cup and Saucer vine I plant every year and have great success with, but they chose not to grow any transplants this year. :( The nursery staff suggested it grows like a morning glory.

So, the tag says "a tender twining vine that grows to 6'", but I just did a Google, and it seems I might have found something comparable to Cup and Saucer after all. And it's fragrant! Anyone care to share any experiences with this vine? Since it's an annual in my area, it would be as invasive as I'm reading; but does it really seed down as much as they say?

Comments (7)

• sarahrock
    12 years ago

I had to do a Google search to see what it was, but I ended up reading reviews on PlantFiles and one user said, regarding it's invasiveness: "I think the plants originated in China and the roots traveled through the center of the Earth and ended up in the U.S." Haha. Well, that person's in Southern CA so I doubt you would have troubles as severe. But yeah, I have no idea, but it sure looks pretty! :)

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I meant to say, "It WOULDN'T be as invasive in my area", being an annual. Sorry.

The ground is just so wet. I went ahead and planted all three but don't think it was the best day to do it. Altho the sun is shining finally. Then the sky is very dark to the South and I wouldn't doubt we get a thunderstorm late this afternoon. At least I won't have to water the new vines.

• prairiegirlz5
    12 years ago

How far apart do you plant your vines? I have a six foot tall board fence on three sides of my long, rectangular yard (there is a four foot tall fence between the house and the garage on the fourth side), and I would like to soften the edges, add a background for the beds. How do you support vines on a fence, trellis or chicken wire/screening? TX.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

By board fence, do you mean a solid board fence or rails? I've not had experience planting vines against solid board fences. The Cup and Saucer vine I always planted so that it would climb up to the porch rails and twine around and the length of them. I plant two - three vine plants in the ground at the bottom of the porch, provide supports of pieces of odd wire fence for them to grow up so they can reach the porch rails. The rails have pieces of wooden trellis nailed between the top and bottom rails. The vines grow on those.

I have never planted Corkscrew Vine before, so this will be a learning experience. Perhaps it won't grow tall enough or spread out enough to cover the porch trellis - or maybe it will go out of control! Just have to wait and see. There is a very good Vine forum on GW that may be able to answer your questions better.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here is the first bloom on the Vigna Caracalla, found this morning. There are other buds waiting to open but all are near the bottom on one plant only. You can see a bud to the lower right of the bloom in the photo.

{{gwi:675199}}

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

I grew one from seed last year, didn't get any flowers tho. I had mine planted in a pot so overwintered it in the greenhouse. It's just starting to leaf out now, I must get it in a bigger container pronto. Fingers crossed it blooms this year, they say the fragrance is lovely. Schoolhouse is yours fragrant?

Annette

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Annette, my friend who does yoga would have been proud of me awhile ago; I had to get way down there to sniff the bloom - no scent that I can smell. :( I too read how incredibly fragrant they are, but I must have the wrong variety? I'm trying to decide if it likes wet or dry feet.

By the way, this evening the bloom is a darker purple on top and the light purple you see in this morning's photo on the bottom.

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County