Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this some type of Rugosa rose?

Posted by tammyinwv z6/WV (My Page) on
Wed, May 26, 10 at 13:15

This rose is huge. about a month ago, while weeding I thought about digging it out since I couldnt remember seeing it bloom last yr. Then a few days later, my husband offered to remove it, he said it looked like the wild invasive roses here. Then this morning I went outside and it has a lot of buds on it. One fully open bloom. It is very pretty.They are actually more a light pink than the lavender they appear in the pic. Can you tell me what it is:

And this one shows its size, which is about 5-6 feet tall and wide.

tammy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this some type of Rugosa rose?

If it's a wild rose, it may only bloom a few weeks and then that's it for the year. It's very pretty and the shrub looks nice in your garden...so I'd keep it, regardless. Does it have any fragrance? It might set nice hips for the bird, too :)

o

That is a Damask rose.
It is a very old garden rose - a China rose.

Very perfumey!!!

I grow them too.

~Annie

o

Thanks guys. i hadnt noticed the fragrance when I took the pic, So before I posted i had to go back out and check. I had to grab a chair and climb up onto the 30" reataining wall, and into the bed,lol. Nothing like a little gymnastics mid day.
It does have a wonderfully, soft sweet rose scent. I guess it just got a reprieve,lol. Glad I didnt jumb into pulling it too quick.Thing is, I dont remember planting it. But as big as it is, I am sure it was quite awhile ago.
Tammy

o

It was/is distilled to make rose perfume.
It is still used to make Rose Water or Rose Extract.
In India and other Asian countries, Rose Extract is used for flavoring baked goods, i.e., cookies, puddings, cakes, etc, not vanilla.
~*~*~

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here