Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_kitten

Blooms are continuing...first ever bloom on a new one

organic_kitten
10 years ago

I had this plant, and it died without ever blooming. I bought this replacement on the lily auction, and I am delighted with it. It is Spacecoast Devils Eye:

{{gwi:675322}}

and the roses have been something this year!

Iceberg:

{{gwi:363639}}

Midnight blue:

{{gwi:675324}}

And the iris have been lovely, here's a few of them:

{{gwi:675326}}

A very unusual spring since we actually had spring this year. I have so enjoyed it!

kay

Comments (15)

• plantmaven
    10 years ago

Lovely!!!!

• luckygal
    10 years ago

Everything is so pretty! That Midnight Blue rose is stunning! Unfortunately only hardy to zone 6!

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    10 years ago

Kay, that daylily is KILLER! I love it!
    You always have such wonderful iris. I've never had all that much luck with them. Any secrets to success? When I've dug them up (usually to move them to try a different garden spot to try get some bloom) I have sometimes found teeny holes on the rhizomes. I had thought it might be iris borer, but it doesn't look like that type of damage. I find that even when there are multiple fans, many of my iris just fail to bloom. I'm ready to dig them up and bring them to a plant swap, but I hate to give up on them because even though I can't remember their names, I do remember they were all really pretty when I bought them in bloom. Thanks for any info!

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Plantmaven. Luckygal, newyorkrita had it in Long Island and I loved the way it looked, so I bought a couple bands from Heirloom. It's a true purple, rare.

Thymetodig. I had a similar thing on one rhizome once, but Schreiners said the borers aren't here, so I haven't had any experience with them. You did plant them with the rhizome itself above ground, didn't you? Can't put mulch over the rhizome itself either. They won't bloom if the rhizome is covered. Picky things. One of my favs didn't bloom this year, and that is why.. I am moving it before next year. Other than that, I spray them like I do my roses because they have a brown spot fungus that will really hurt them otherwise. I'll be curious to see what you say about your plantings. They are gorgeous plants, just a little picky in that regard.

kay

• Annie
    10 years ago

Kay,
    Everything is just beautiful!

Love that Daylily. Wowzers! Rita got me hooked on daylilies. Bless her heart!

My Iceberg is just starting to bloom. My irises are in full bloom but I don't think they will last as long as they usually do. I need to divide mine this year. I dread that. Back killer...

Thanks for sharing Kay.

~Annie

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Annie. Rita got me into roses as well as daylilies...but I got her much more into clematis. I really wanted that daylily, and it is hard to find.

I have got to divide iris this year too, and I am passing some of them on to my daughter, and a few friends. Three big beds of them is to many.

kay

• kathi_mdgd
    10 years ago

Kay, your gardens are beautiful.I love that purple rose in the picture below the icebergs.My lilies havn't started to bloom yet but I have a pretty yellow one with a dark center that's shaped just like a heart.Wish all my iris would bloom at the same time,like yours do,is there a trick to that??My yellow iris's have finished blooming and the lavenders are blooming now but not enmass,and I havn't seen any sign of the pink ones yet,but the plants look healthy so I guess I just have to be patient.Hard to do at this time of year.

I do have quite a few cacti and succulents blooming now though.
    Kathi

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Kay, how marvelous. The Iceberg roses are lovely and the Midnight Blue is spectacular. I am always envious of people's roses. I am hoping that someday in the future there will be a shade tolerant one that will actually bloom profusely!

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

The iris are wonderful. Give us some more individual close-ups, please. Midnight Blue is such an enticing color. Supposedly, it is much like Ebb Tide, but the latter has not done well here. Iceberg is profuse and pristine!

• Sandi_W
    10 years ago

Kay, everything is lovely. Only one of my iris bloomed (a month late) and it was ruined by a late frost. Yours make me drool.

• gardenofeden777
    10 years ago

Beautiful Kay! Ditto on the purple rose, love it. And the iris of course, can't wait for all mine to make clumps.

I'm so glad you had a spring! We had one too, albeit little but will take what we can get here this far south.
    Rena' :-)

• girlgroupgirl
    10 years ago

Everything is so pretty! I just love that blue rose...

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I really appreciate you all looking and commenting on the garden.
    Kathi, it is easy to have a lot of iris bloom at the same time...have 2 or 3 hundred of them like the idiot in Alabama, and there are always a number of them blooming. I get embarrassed at the excess and quit posting them after a while.
    Cyn424, Actually, Julia Child blooms pretty well for me and she in in total shade due to New Dawn overgrowing her.Worth a try. Most of my roses get morning sun but afternoon shade...a good thing here in the heat.
    Mantis, what iris would you like to see close up? Midnight Blue does well for Rita in Long Island, and it is doing very well here, so with your skills it should be a winner for you. The color is pretty unique. the only one I have close to it is Cardinal Richelieu...and it's a once bloomer.
    Sandi, I am sorry the frost got your iris...like I told cyn424, buy a lot of iris, then you have blooms...awful answer, I know it. sorry. I'm glad you enjoyed the blooms and hope you get re-bloom on yours.
    Rena, the iris make clumps fast, then you have to divide. aargh! It was a spring to treasure though, it really was.
    Girlgroupgirl. Thank you, I got it as a band from Heirloom, and it was a teeny thing. It has a nice fragrance too. A year older, good rains, cool spring, and Mills Magic Mix have meant unprecedented bloom for me. I could hardly contain myself. Your garden is lovely, so I know you have had a wonderful spring too.
    kay

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    10 years ago

Kay, I did plant them above the soil surface, but was thinking today if our chopped leaf mulch could be affecting them. Do you think thay are THAT picky that a bit of chopped leaves would cause them not to bloom?

• ogrose_tx
    10 years ago

Kay, I LOVE that day lily! I have a few, nothing as gorgeous as that...

I just planted some iris from BlueJ iris last Fall, and here is one that bloomed for me this year.

Sponsored