Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aftermidnight_gw

Spring in my garden

Some parts of the garden are starting to look decent, still working on the rest. The Azaleas are starting to bloom, I think this is my favorite time of year, their scent wafting through the air is an added bonus . Annette

Comments (28)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Taken from another position.

• Sandi_W
    10 years ago

Very pretty Annette. It looks so peaceful and serene. What is the tall weeping green to the left?

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Sandi, the green weeper is a weeping European Larch it needles turn a golden color in the fall before they drop and even when standing bare naked in the winter it still looks good or at least I think so :).

Annette

• plantmaven
    10 years ago

How pretty! We never have anything that lush here. What are the things that look like marshmallows on sticks?

Original Author
    10 years ago

Kathy the pink marshmallow thingies, Persicaria bistorta superba. It's a spreader but on the other hand it chokes out weeds, I just pull it where I don't want it.

Annette

Here is a link that might be useful: Persicaria bistorta superba

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Annette, your garden is so lush and green. Beautifully serene and just beautiful. Spring is wonderful, even this crazy one.The roses have loved it!
    And your azaleas are wonderful.
    kay

• luckygal
    10 years ago

Lovely! I always enjoy seeing gardens from the 'rain forest' of BC! So different from this area which is in the dry hinterland of the same province! I'm already having to water my garden.

• Calamity_J
    10 years ago

I LOVE Annette's Garden!! It has so many "rooms"!! It amazes me what she can do with a small space! Inspiring!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

So pretty, Annette. I love seeing your gardens!

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    10 years ago

Annette, that picture truly looks like it could have been painted by one of the masters. Your garden is so beautiful.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Thyme, I just wish the rest of my garden looked as good. Right now the left side of the last pic is under construction, the old iron plant pole where I used to grow some of the Fuchsia baskets is now in full sun so what to do with it, problem solved :), yesterday DH bought me a new Wisteria which I'll train into a tree form, needs a severe pruning and some training but will wait until it finishes blooming. This is where I also planted the Lespedeza I bought last year, it's still quite small but it looks healthy and should put on a good bit of growth this year.
    Lots of pink Lily of the Valley and Columbine to pull out and my poor little miniature Lilac that was grown from a cutting has been moved and heeled in for the third time, I want it up there somewhere but have to keep in mind the Lespedeza is going to get quite big. Hopefully I'll be able to underplant with spring bulbs or some kind of ground cover or... I could let the Lady's Mantle run amuck again, actually I think that might look quite pretty. I'll see if I can get a pic of the under construction side later right now I'm off to a plant swap with some other GWers here on Vancouver Island.

Annette

Original Author
    10 years ago

Just back from the plant swap, it sure was nice putting names to faces and a great bunch they were, we're already talking about doing this again next year.
    Here's a picture of the construction/destruction zone. We planted the Wisteria as close as we could to the plant pole I think it will look good once it gets going. Annette

• Calamity_J
    10 years ago

Annette and myself are off to tour three open gardens tomorrow!!! Whoohoo! Really: I should be staying home and getting to MY garden chores...when we got home from the plant swap today it started to really rain so hopefully it will rain itself out by tomorrow, and we can enjoy the tour! I scooped up the plants Annette brought to the swap....I feel like Golem..."my precious"! ;-)

• Annie
    10 years ago

Annette,

Your garden pics are just beautiful as always. Yours "under construction" looks better than mine.

Annette, I miss all your beautiful Fuchsias. They were just dreamy! I love all your "garden rooms" too. Turn a corner and there is a completely new kind of garden!
    Calamity J. Golem....oh, the picture that put into my mind. (ha ha ha).

Enjoyed all the comments about the get together and swap meet. You sillies! Wish I could meet you all in person.

• wolfcub
    10 years ago

Annette It was so nice to meet you. Your garden looks fantastic. I must drop in one of these days and see it in person. Do I need to bring my rooting hormone??
    Cheers Marj

• hosenemesis
    10 years ago

Beautiful. I love your weeping larch, your stonework, and the persicaria is charming. But the yellow azalea really got me- I have never seen one before. Thanks for posting.
    Renee

Original Author
    10 years ago

Annie, I'm afraid the days of growing 65 fuchsia baskets plus loads of pots are in the past, it's not only old age creeping up on me the light in the garden has changed drastically, where I grew most of them it's too shady now and other spots where I hung fuchsia baskets are too sunny It looks like I'll only have half a dozen or so this year.

Renee, the yellow azalea was grown from a rooted cutting given me by a member of our garden club many years ago, I have no idea which one it is but it's one of the musky scented ones. I have two more yellow named varieties, I'll see if I can get a pic later.

Marj, it was so nice finally meeting you in person after conversing with you on the computer the last couple of years, I don't know about the rooting hormone but plastic baggies and damp paper towel are a must LOL.
    Marj (wolfcub) is another bean fanatic like me, thanks to her I now have many of the varieties I was looking for.

Annette

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    10 years ago

Gorgeous Annette!

The Laburnum with the yellow azalea and celandines (?) are such cheery companions.

Good to know about the Persicaria. I have a small sprig of it and will have to put it in a spot it can't overtake everything! Heaven knows I have enough of those, LOL.
    CMK

Original Author
    10 years ago

Christin, they're Welsh Poppies, another seed spreader but an easy one to pull where it's not wanted :).

Annette

• BecR
    10 years ago

Hi Ladies~

Your garden is so healthy green and GORGEOUS, Annette! Beautiful!!!

We've had some unseasonal HOT weather this past week, in the nineties and yesterday reached triple digits--the first time this year!

Waay too hot to do anything in the garden, but water every evening just before dark. So thats the end of most of my garden blooms. Today is a bit cooloer, so hopefully we are back to milder temps for a few more weeks, before summer officially arrives.

I'm with Annie, would love to come for a visit some time, see your gardens and meet you all in person. ;-)

Original Author
    10 years ago

Finally got a couple of pics of the other yellow Azaleas I have here's the first one "Chetco"

Original Author
    10 years ago

This one is "Golden Sunset"

• nulty
    10 years ago

Hi Annette,..beautiful Azalea,..awesome would be a better description,..and i love that European Larch,..well i like everything in your garden,..the fact that you have to look around some growth to see others out of view appeals to me.

Philip

• schoolhouse_gw
    10 years ago

Always such a pretty palette.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Phillip, my garden is quite small compared to some, there is a couple of reasons why I divided it up into garden rooms. I liked that you couldn't see it all at once, couldn't see what was around the corner until you got there, surprise, surprise :). And.... if one area was messy, gone past it's best or hadn't amounted to much yet it didn't spoil the parts that looked decent.
    I still have a lot of cleanup to do in parts of my garden, health issues kind of put the skids on my garden maintenance the last couple of years but things are finally looking up :).

Annette

• nulty
    10 years ago

Hi Annette,..i love the description,.. rooms,..in my own garden i call them islands,..likewise with your garden i can seldom if ever see all of my garden from any angle,..i have tall plants near the cottage then beyond that there are small plants,..then it starts again lol,..just to give you a good idea the video below will show it better.

Philip
    Blooms In The Garden 2011

• Sandi_W
    10 years ago

Annette, I just love your weeping European Larch. I looked it up and it's out of my price range so I'll have to enjoy yours. I would love to see some pictures of it in different seasons.

• thinman
    10 years ago

I just caught up with this post, Annette. Beautiful! I don't think we can grow azaleas here, but I've enjoyed them when I have been in the south. What a nice job of combining things you have done. You're good at this!

TM

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner