Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Spring Shrubs and Blubs Flowering

newyorkrita
12 years ago

I love this time of year as the shrubs and small trees in the garden bust into bloom.

{{gwi:675495}}

Lilacs blooming.

{{gwi:675497}}

Sitting area under the crabapple tree facing the sideyard rosegarden.

{{gwi:17857}}

Sideyard rosegarden has lots of Wood Hyacinths blooming.

{{gwi:17856}}

Closer view of the wood hyacinths.

{{gwi:274457}}

Tulips still blooming in that rose garden.

{{gwi:675500}}

But mostly the backyard is full of spring shrubs blooming.

{{gwi:675502}}

More shrubs blooming.

{{gwi:675504}}

Sometimes you can't even see the house from the edge of the "woods".

{{gwi:202280}}

The pretty pond. I bought some floating hyacinths and put them in there yesterday but you can't really see them from this angle.

{{gwi:675507}}

Some of the tulips are still going. These are strangly colored ones!

{{gwi:675509}}

A section of the Columbine garden tulips still blooming away.

Comments (9)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Oh! So pretty! I miss lilacs now that we live in the south. They don't do as well as they did up north.

Thanks for the pictures. I have serious yard envy, especially now that our backyard looks like a dogpark these days-lots of dirt, weeds, and trampled (or worse, dug up) plants! Ah well, love the galloping gardeners anyway. :)

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

Everything else is beautiful as you have to know, but that lilac!!!

And you know how I love purples, but that is achingly gorgeous! I love it!

The columbines and tulips are beautiful together. I love the wood hyacinths and the tulips, oddly enough the ones in the third picture appeal to me the most, but those lilacs!
    kay

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kay, that is one of my "new" lilac shrubs that I mail ordered from Song Sparrow nursey afew years ago that came in small pots. Took them this long to start blooming. I guess they had to grow up before they could bloom. Only two of the seven shrubs are blooming (the biggest ones) but they sure are pretty.

I have the common lighter lilac color that have been in the garden forever but these I ordered are all the fancy new colors. I do really love the deep purple color myself.

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

I have never seen lilacs, other than in pictures.
    Lovely!

• jean_ar
    12 years ago

Rita, You have beauty in your yard, every where you look.I love that woodsy look picture.and I am curious as to what is the plant to the right of the chair in Picture 2 that has white flower or else very light blue flowers"?? ilove your Lilac Bush.I have never seen one except in a picture. I love them strangly looking tulips too.You really have a assortment of different flowers growing,and it is soo pretty.

Jean

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jean- that shrub to the right of the chair is not yet in full bloom. Those flowers are not fully open. But it is a "Shasta" viburnum. I tried to get a picture of my snowball bush viburnum like kay has but mine is in the woodsey border and I couldn't get a shot. I have lots and lots and lots of different viburnum shrubs. Mostly they flower and then make berries that the birds eat.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Honestly all you guys in the deep south that can't have lilacs don't know what your missing. Those flowers just smell so divine each spring.

• katladie
    12 years ago

Don't you just love spring flowering shrubs. I am adding a few more each year. Rita, your yard is beautiful no matter what time of the blooming season. sharon

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

The spring blooming shrubs I have here in San Antonio:
    Spirea
    Gardenia
    Barbados cherry
    Tea olive
    hydrangea
    Rose of Sharon

Sponsored