Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spring Shrubs and Blubs Flowering

Posted by newyorkrita z6b/7a LI NY (My Page) on
Sun, May 8, 11 at 13:28

I love this time of year as the shrubs and small trees in the garden bust into bloom.

Photobucket

Lilacs blooming.

Photobucket

Sitting area under the crabapple tree facing the sideyard rosegarden.

Photobucket

Sideyard rosegarden has lots of Wood Hyacinths blooming.

Photobucket

Closer view of the wood hyacinths.

Photobucket

Tulips still blooming in that rose garden.

Photobucket

But mostly the backyard is full of spring shrubs blooming.

Photobucket

More shrubs blooming.

Photobucket

Sometimes you can't even see the house from the edge of the "woods".

Photobucket

The pretty pond. I bought some floating hyacinths and put them in there yesterday but you can't really see them from this angle.

Photobucket

Some of the tulips are still going. These are strangly colored ones!

Photobucket

A section of the Columbine garden tulips still blooming away.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spring Shrubs and Blubs Flowering

Oh! So pretty! I miss lilacs now that we live in the south. They don't do as well as they did up north.

Thanks for the pictures. I have serious yard envy, especially now that our backyard looks like a dogpark these days-lots of dirt, weeds, and trampled (or worse, dug up) plants! Ah well, love the galloping gardeners anyway. :)

o

Everything else is beautiful as you have to know, but that lilac!!!

And you know how I love purples, but that is achingly gorgeous! I love it!

The columbines and tulips are beautiful together. I love the wood hyacinths and the tulips, oddly enough the ones in the third picture appeal to me the most, but those lilacs!
kay

o

Kay, that is one of my "new" lilac shrubs that I mail ordered from Song Sparrow nursey afew years ago that came in small pots. Took them this long to start blooming. I guess they had to grow up before they could bloom. Only two of the seven shrubs are blooming (the biggest ones) but they sure are pretty.

I have the common lighter lilac color that have been in the garden forever but these I ordered are all the fancy new colors. I do really love the deep purple color myself.

o

I have never seen lilacs, other than in pictures.
Lovely!

o

Rita, You have beauty in your yard, every where you look.I love that woodsy look picture.and I am curious as to what is the plant to the right of the chair in Picture 2 that has white flower or else very light blue flowers"?? ilove your Lilac Bush.I have never seen one except in a picture. I love them strangly looking tulips too.You really have a assortment of different flowers growing,and it is soo pretty.

Jean

o

Jean- that shrub to the right of the chair is not yet in full bloom. Those flowers are not fully open. But it is a "Shasta" viburnum. I tried to get a picture of my snowball bush viburnum like kay has but mine is in the woodsey border and I couldn't get a shot. I have lots and lots and lots of different viburnum shrubs. Mostly they flower and then make berries that the birds eat.

o
RE: Lilacs

Honestly all you guys in the deep south that can't have lilacs don't know what your missing. Those flowers just smell so divine each spring.

o

Don't you just love spring flowering shrubs. I am adding a few more each year. Rita, your yard is beautiful no matter what time of the blooming season. sharon

o

The spring blooming shrubs I have here in San Antonio:
Spirea
Gardenia
Barbados cherry
Tea olive
hydrangea
Rose of Sharon

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here