Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Walmart's DEAD plants

Posted by ogrose 8 DFW (My Page) on
Mon, May 9, 11 at 13:33

Stopped by the gardening section of Walmart this morning, it was already 83 Degrees and windy; there were tables and tables of totally dead plants. These weren't bedding plants, they were the gallon and two gallon bushes and shrubs, selling for up to $20.00. Made me both sad and angry to think of the effort put into growing these plants and transporting them. Guess this department will take a huge loss this month!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Walmart's DEAD plants

• Posted by natal Louisiana 8b (My Page) on
    Mon, May 9, 11 at 14:10

That's a common scenario at many WMs.

o

Look on the bright side. They might turn up on the reduced shelves at a fraction of their original cost and be saveable by dedicated plant first aiders. Go back soon and check!

Here is a link that might be useful: ER for plants

o

I love checking the clearance rack at places like this, last week I picked up two Spirea for $2 each. These are pretty healthy, but the tops were dry and crunchy. The bottom leaves on each stem were fine. I gave them some TLC and they are now resting in my holding area until I can find a place to plant them.

I also picked up four 1/2 gallon pots full of violas for .50 each. No idea why they were on clearance, they were perfectly fine. I split them up and planted them out yesterday.

2 years ago I picked up an endless summer hydrangea at for $3......it had been hit by frost or something. The stems looked dead. BUT I could see new shoots ready to come up. It looks great now!

For the most part I avoid buying at these places, UNLESS I know what it is I am buying.

o

I experienced the same thing at both home depot and lowes in lufkin this past weekend. didn't look at walmart...i was so bummed by the time I looked at these 2 places I just went home. It was pitiful!

o

I've seen it too. Don't know why some places bother. All that time and money and they don't even bother with basic care. :-(

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here