Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
silverkelt

Whats in bloom and I mean natives...ladyslipers ect..

silverkelt
12 years ago

I took a tour of my woods today.. my only rule was to limit myself to my actual property.. so strolled around for about a hour taking a look. If you are not interested in natives skip this post, but thought to share with those that would. I consider them cottage to me, as I let them stray into my gardens.

First, probably maines showiest flower..

Showy Lady Slipper.

{{gwi:675712}}

{{gwi:675713}}

Painted Trillium, a fav, but slugs apparently like the leaves =( saw lots of these but mostly flowers are spent, this is the best I could find for you today.

{{gwi:675714}}

Bunch Berry related to dogwoods.. This is a local fav of mine

{{gwi:675715}}

Eastern Starflower.. a flower that likes maine apparently becuase its everywhere .. delicate and a beauty

{{gwi:675716}}

Blueberry(low bush)(Vaccinium angustifolium), I always find it facisnating learning about the history of food, consider Tomatoes italian fare? Not so , niether are gourds, rasberries or blueberries, all american fare either north or southern type hemispheres, kinda neat.

{{gwi:675717}}

Here are some unknowns.. if you know them let me know if not no biggie, have been looking on a identification page.. but like you put in yellow natives with 7 petals and you still get like 50 entries lol.. so you select basal growth and you get like 36 ect ect.. Im not native expert, but like to study some when I get the chance...

{{gwi:675718}}

{{gwi:675720}}

My fern dale.. Cinnimon ferns.. I kinda lucked out here.. they are my favorite maine native fern and I have them.. My last place I had wood ferns.. the cinnimon ones have this very interesting red plume in spring. They do fade late summer though..

{{gwi:675721}}

MY one non native of today.. Hardy Geranium.. floating in yesterdays sun..

{{gwi:675722}}

Silverkelt

Comments (6)

• girlgroupgirl
    12 years ago

Silverkelt they are so beautiful. The yellow is Uvularia, and I think it's often seen near the beautiful trillium. Your woods are lovely and full of surprises!

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    12 years ago

Beautiful! I grew up on the east coast of Canada (in NB, next door to Maine :-) so those are all familiar flowers that evoke a lot of nostalgia. I have tried and tried to grow bunchberries here but they just don't like it. Wintergreen is another childhood favorite that I can't get to grow here.Not acid enough conditions here I think. I'd love some starflowers too. Do you have Bluets? They used to coat the rocky hilltops at my grandparents' farm and make it look like it had snowed in May! They're the wildflower I most associate with spring when I think of 'home'.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    12 years ago

They are all so beautiful. Thanks for sharing. I love the painted trillium. How large is your property? How nice that you have such beautiful woods.

• newyorkrita
    12 years ago

Not much into woodland flowers but I do think it is marvelous that you have them. I do love ferns however and the cinnimon ferns are really pretty. I have lady ferns growing in my garden that have been here for years. And I planted Red Stemmed Lady Fern afew years ago that I found in a local nursery.

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    12 years ago

I on the other hand ADORE woodlanders! If I had the space and more shade I would have a whole section devoted to natives/woodland flowers. The ladies mantle is my favorite! I've often been tempted to try one, but have a feeling they might not be as happy over here as they are on your property.
    Thanks so much for sharing these natural beauties ;-)
    CMK

• mytime
    12 years ago

Wonderful post, perhaps we can keep it going all summer. I love native plants and have many interspersed with my cultivated plants. This week, the blooms are serviceberry, elderberry, Jacob's ladder, tall Jacob's ladder, starflowers, chiming bells (Mertensia paniculata), a saxifrage (S. tricuspidata), nagoonberry, Sanguisorba officinalis (red burnet), and a dwarf willow and myrical gale that are a little past their most gorgeous stage.
    I tried to take a couple of pictures just now, but the sun is just too bright and is washing all the color out, or is just reflecting off the plants with shiny leaves (of course I'm too lazy to go find the good cameral and do it). Last summer and this last winter were very hard on my cultivated perennials, so this year the stars of my flower beds will be my native plants!

Sponsored