Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
merilia

What to plant?

Merilia
12 years ago

This isn't really a cottage garden question in particular, but because I really like the sense of taste of many of the posters here, I figured it would be where I would get the best answer.

I made a little flower bed on the NW corner of my deck and planted some Heritage roses, may night salvia, and powis castle artemisia. The deck is about 4 feet above ground level, and my hope is that the roses will grow up to the level of the deck and then climb a bit along the railing.

The problem is that now I've got a 4 foot wide "hole" on the north side of my deck between this bed and the stairs coming down from the deck. I'd like to fill this with something that will grow tall enough to at least reach the bottom of the deck, and will fill out but not try to choke out the roses or obstruct the stairs (which are fairly narrow). Also I want something whose colors will coordinate nicely with what I've got next to it.

Right now the two main options I've thought of are either a pink camellia (for some early spring interest) or a Zephirine Drouhin rose (because thorns wouldn't be a problem if it does grow into the stairs, and I love fragrant roses).

If it matters, the soil in that particular spot is hard, heavy clay in fairly bad shape that I was planning to amend heavily with compost. The ground slopes away gently, so hopefully drainage won't be terrible, though.

Comments (15)

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

I'm on the other side of the state, but my mom put Zephirine Drouhin roses on each corner of her deck and they're just beautiful! They didn't even die back with this past winter...and she lost some hybrid teas she'd had for years! I guess it's the location, but they seem much tougher than I expected them to be...from their zone rating.

Best of luck with your garden...I look forward to seeing pictures :)

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    12 years ago

Sounds like a beautiful space already! Wouldn't both Zephirine Drouhin and a Camellia get bigger than four feet around eventually??

Not sure if you were open to something non-blooming, but how about an ornamental grass? Calamagrostis 'Overdam' would look lovely with the rose.
    Here is a pic of mine paired with rose 'Carding Mill' (before it was moved ;-)
    {{gwi:675834}}
    CMK

• Merilia
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm afraid I too recently had to mow the jungle of a back yard to want to plant any sort of ornamental grass at the moment. We just moved into this home about a month ago, and the only thing the previous owners had managed to grow were knee-deep "grass" and dandelions.

If I tried to keep a rose pruned to the available size, would it prevent it from blooming well? I have never grown a climbing rose or a camellia, so I'm glad I asked here first!

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    12 years ago

I understand how you feel about the ornamental grasses. I have one with plain green foliage and have often mistaken it for a weed! ;-)

Since the spot is in such a prominent spot you would probably want something that looks good all the growing season and doesnâÂÂt get ratty after blooming⦠How about an Aster? 'Monch' is a very nice plant, but there are many others out there as well in other colors.

Phlox 'David' would also look good. Large white flowers in summer. Plant stands about four feet tall and three feet wide. This one is known for being very mildew resistant too.
    CMK

• flora2b
    12 years ago

Did you mention the light condition? I thought you stated north side so was wondering about shade or sun?
    You want no more than 4 feet tall and by the stairs, right?

Being in Seattle area you have alot more choices than I would, but I would consider something that gives year round interest such as a weeping pussy willow or weeping caragana or an everygreen of some sort.
    flora

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    12 years ago

Hmmm if I'm imagining this area correctly, I'd consider a honeysuckle on a trellis? My favorite is gold flame honeysuckle. Smells delightful and is sooo pretty.
    I have zephy and she's about 4 ft wide and only in her second year. I personally don't care for pruning roses to fit in a smaller space, I think it will cut back on their blooming. and I love to let them grow to their full potential. However, I think if that's one you want why not go for it! You can always move her later. Also she will definatly get taller than 4 ft, but shes sooo pretty!
    I also would love to see pics of your garden!

• Merilia
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It's been a while since I posted this thread, but I only just found my camera's battery charger, and so I can finally show some photos!

Here's the spot I was talking about:

{{gwi:675836}}

While I'm at it, I might as well share some more photos of what I've done so far.

Some flower pots on the deck, along with the kitty that the previous owners abandoned (isn't he the cutest?):
    {{gwi:270544}}

Before getting this house we lived in an apartment with a tiny patio. Last September, I planted some pots of violas and ivy, underplanted with daffodils. After ignoring them ever since, here's what they look like half a year later:
    {{gwi:675837}}

{{gwi:675838}}

Here's the front yard. I was going for a crimson/apricot/purple color scheme, but at the moment all you see is red! The roses are Jude the Obscure, Mr Lincoln, and Just Joey. Towards the back is a lilac and two tiny sprouts that are supposedly butterfly bushes, and in the background is a pile of debris that I've slowly been disposing of in the weekly yard waste pick-up--it'll probably be months before it's all gone!
    {{gwi:675839}}

Also from the front yard, my first opened fuchsia blossom (dollar princess):
    {{gwi:675840}}

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

Your garden is coming along well, and I love your new kitty. Fuchsia envy!!!Bad! Beautiful. and you have lupines. You are doing great on your own. Your garden is really pretty and it will just get better. And those violas are to die far!
    kay

• journalbee
    12 years ago

your viola's are wonderful as is the rest of your garden. wonderful of you to take the kitty in. he is a cutie!

• nwrose
    12 years ago

My mom has a spot like this. She has a weigela and it is wonderful. Spiraea might work well. Japanese Maple?
    Smiles,
    D....

• mytime
    12 years ago

I was going to suggest a spiraea, too. They come in all sizes, the bloom of any of them would go with what you already have, and you have quite a choice of foliage. I have one that I've had for 20 years, chosen for it's size to fit in the L of 2 decks, without growing much above the decks. I've never had to prune it...it just fits.

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

WOW! Aren't you a busy bee! Got it lookin' ship shape already with a nice looking bed! By the looks of your pots, you certainly have a green thunb! Love the rocks you inherited with your garden bed! Enjoy your new yard and kitty!

• trovesoftrilliums
    12 years ago

Great pics, and yes cute kitty! He looks very happy to have been adopted.

Maybe you could put up a temporary trellis and grown annual climbers with some tall annuals in front--zinnia, cosmos, cleomes, etc.

Or how about blueberry shrub? They are actually quite attractive, imo, and you might bet a few berries in time. Mixing in a few edibles would add to the cottage look. :)

• Merilia
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the replies!

I love the look of weigelas, but I'm not sure they would like the soil I've got there (very dense hard clay).

A spiraea sounds like it would work--I'll have to check those out.

I love the look of annual vines, but would any of those do well on the north side of the deck? It's hard to tell in my photos because I took them on a bright cloudy day, but that spot doesn't get a whole lot of sun.

A blueberry bush would probably love the soil I've got there, but again, not sure about the sunshine.

• scottyboipdx
    12 years ago

Well...not sure of the dimensions...but if it gets quite a bit of shade and you can keep it consistently moist all year...I would recommend:
    In back, one of the dark-leaved Cimicifuga (sometimes available under "Actaea" 'Brunette' or 'Hillside Black Beauty'...They get 4-5' tall, but only 2' or so wide. In front and around that (as room allows) I'd plant some Astrantia...there are lots of varieties to choose from, depending on the flower color you want. They are very durable and look great, even when not blooming (the blooms last quite a long time, and if deadheaded, usually rebloom in autumn). Both these do require a bit of shade, but can put up with a bit of sun as long as the soil never dries out...the Astrantias actually prefer heavy soil, like yours.

Here's what the flowers of one type look like, they are small, but borne in good quantity.
    {{gwi:675841}}

And this is the eventual size of a mature clump (ranging from 2-3' tall and wide). The Astrantia is the plant on the right side of the path.
    {{gwi:675842}}

Here is a link that might be useful: My Blog

Sponsored