Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosefolly_gw

The (real) Hobbit Garden

rosefolly
12 years ago

A couple of years ago I posted a message about my own 'hobbit' garden, a small bed near my back door that was inspired by Peter Jackson's movies. This past winter my DH and I had the good fortune to tour the Hobbiton movie site, newly refurbished for the filming of the two new Hobbit movies. Unfortunately we had to sign an agreement saying that we would not post any pictures, I am assuming until the first movie is released.

For those of you who share my passion for Tolkien's world, I thought I'd share some impressions. They used a wide palette of plants, lots of traditional English cottage garden flowers mixed with similar country plants that do well in New Zealand. Except for the village vegetable bed, it was all a mix of one's and two's, mostly ornamental but with the odd brassica here and there. Lots of lovely woven willow garden ornaments, mossy coatings on all the old looking new wood, and every kind of country touch you can imagine - even the clotheslines and mailboxes. The local invasive pest is the opossum foolishly imported from Australia (completely unrelated to the North American opossum). They would completely destroy all the plants overnight, so the plants are all frequently sprayed with something highly unpleasant that repels the opossums. Apparently it works. Behind the scenes there is a nursery that grows all the plants needed for the gardens, and plants are swapped out regularly to keep them fresh at all times.

It was a wonderful experience. If any of you get a chance to go to NZ, please do not pass up the opportunity to visit this remarkable setting and garden.

I have lots of photos. When it becomes legal for me to do so, I'll post them.

Rosefolly

Comments (11)

Sponsored