Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Please identify this potted plant-succulent

Oakley
10 years ago

I didn't go to the succulent forum because I'm more familiar with this board. :)

This plant was given to me last week, and I'm having a hard time identifying it. My first thought is Kalanchoe but I can't find anything online with similar leaves.

It's similar to a Jade plant, but the leaves are softer. I need to know pretty soon so I can give it the proper light & water.

Thanks!

{{gwi:207253}}

Comments (10)

• Oakley
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Could it be a Sedum?

• graywings123
    10 years ago

Have you tried cross-posting in the Name That Plant forum?

I saw a plant in my doctor's office the other day that had 'meaty' leaves like a jade plant, but the leaves were longer like yours are. It was in a fairly low light area.

Here is a link that might be useful: Name That Plant

• Oakley
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! I didn't know there was a board for that.

• plays_in_dirt_dirt
    10 years ago

It might be Mother of Thousands, which is in the Kalanchoe family ... the leaves grow plantlets on the sides, hence the name mother of thousands ... also, leaves are often outlined in red, which I see on one on the upper right of your photo ... usually, though, by the time leaves are of the size in your photo, they have already set plantlets ...

• tinam61
    10 years ago

Looks like a succulent, perhaps from the cactus family. It does not look in top shape, which is probably why the leaves feel soft.

Succulents need lots of sunlight but the do burn easily, so indirect light is better. Morning light is good outdoors, bright light indoors.

May need to be repotted if you are not sure about the potting soil.

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Sure looks like Lambs Ear to me. It can sometimes be a little fuzz if it's an older plant. It makes a nice ground cover.

Here is a link that might be useful: plant

• Oakley
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A lady on another forum identified it as a Crassula. I think that's what it is, I used to grow them a long time ago. I have several succulents indoors.

It's in good shape but someone has already pruned it so it will be bushy. The leaves do look better now since I already repotted it.

I'll be giving it morning sun because many succulents can't tolerate full sun like cactus do.

I realy was hoping it was either a Kalanchoe or Sedum since they easily bloom. Not so much with Crassula.

This post was edited by oakleyok on Thu, May 16, 13 at 7:19

• Annie
    10 years ago

Oakleyoak,
    I would post it on the succulent forum.
    I used to post there quite a bit!. I had numerous plants that I got from a cousin and had no idea what they were. The folks on the cacti-succulent forums did - and how!
    They are VERY knowledgeable and helpful too. I'm sure you can get all the info you need to know about it.

~Annie

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

I agree with Annie.

Right now, instead of a forum you are familiar with, you need a forum familiar with your plant. The Cacti and Succulent Forum would nail it down as well as tell you the best care.

tj

Here is a link that might be useful: C&S Forum

• runswithscissors
    10 years ago

Not a Mother-of-Thousands. I have one of those and the leaves are shaped quite differently. My best guess is a sedum of some type...there are thousands of those!