Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calamity_j

Opinion: Forsythia & pink currant

Calamity_J
12 years ago

Do you think it is wrong to plant them next to each other? I thought it was one of my best ideas! I thought they compliment each other. I just read our local Horticulture newsletter and an article says that is unforgivable! Something about torturing the eyes!lol! I like it and am gonna keep it planted together, but was just wondering how others felt about it.

Comments (10)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Jane, just because someone doesn't like that color combination it shouldn't dictate what YOU put with what. Take for instance, red and orange together makes me shudder but that's just me, probably because I'm not to fond of hot colors, lots of people like this combination I see it all the time.
    It's your garden, plant what you like, don't be swayed by someone's opinion. When it comes down to it I'm a nonconformist at heart just like old mother nature so I plant whatever I like, where I like, beside whatever LOL.

Annette

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

Whoever writes your local horticulture newsletter may not like the combination but that's one individual's personal preference and shouldn't be allowed to dictate what you put in your own little green paradise. You don't have to agree with that newsletter. Mixing pastel or bold colors that are normally not compatible often has stunning, eye-catching results in the garden landscape. I love planning which plants to put where and with what--it's a big part of the fun in gardening. Bright yellow dandelions are blooming in my lawn right now and look really great with the dark pink buds on the crabapple tree.

• luckygal
    12 years ago

Jane, IMO combos are very personal expressions of 'art' in gardening so anything is acceptable if you like it. Last year my fuchsia Waves (that were supposed to be purple) grew into my lavender catmint and someone complimented me on it. It wasn't intentional but I think unusual combos make for a more interesting garden color palette. I'm hoping to combine orange and fuchsia somewhere this year altho don't usually choose either color.

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

That is your garden, and you decide what is right together. It doesn't matter what one so-called "expert" said. Next time another "expert" might say just the opposite. Enjoy your pretty mix.
    kay

12 years ago

Old mother nature at work in my garden, I didn't plan this it just happened :).

{{gwi:676262}}

Annette

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the feedback, I always wonder if there is "Gardening rules", that I am not privy to yet!lol! I pour over enough gardening books/magazines(collect them..Need them!)and just can't seem to retain all that there is to learn about gardening! Ahhhh, a lifetime obsession! My friend Frank has asked me to look after his greenhouse while he is away, and I feel so honored that he would trust me!!! I am a: buy perenial plant(babies) kinda gal, with a few poppy and cosmos seeds scattered, so I will be nervous to be responsible for his babies! But I do have plans to get a greenhouse of my own, as I am interested in geraniums and fushias in the future.
    Annette: Lovely suprise garden! I showed Frank his garden pics,in the forum gallery, he enjoyed reading the comments and wants to join us here!!!

• mandolls
    12 years ago

Annette - that combination of color and texture is exquisite!! And dont tell me those are all volunteers - you must have had something to do with it.

12 years ago

Mandolls, well, LOL, I planted the Ajuga but the Euphorbia wandered in all by itself. I had the Euphorbia planted in the gravel path at the base of the rock border and it decided to wander. This little Euphorbia 'Fens Ruby' is classed as invasive by most but I love it, just pull it out where I don't want it. I have several plants in this garden bed classed as invasive but the slower and older I get I now refer to them as those lovely carpeters that smother weeds. In this same area I have pink Lily of the Valley, Ladies Mantle and Persicaria Bistorta Superbum all duking it out.

Jane I used to keep all the magazines I subscribed to I gave all my Island Gardeners away some years ago but still have years worth of Gardens West from the very first up to a couple of years ago. I was going to toss them but if you like you can have them.

Annette

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh Annette!!!I would LOVE them! That is my favorite, I love the "Talkback" I learn so much from that! I find mags in thrift stores and one I found is called Birds and Blooms...WOW! My email info is on the "My Page"
    Frank and I both have plants for the Hort Plant Sale.

• gottagarden
    12 years ago

how about a picture of forsythia and pink currant? so we can see what they look like.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!