Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
perennial foxglove?

Posted by newbiehavinfun 7a - Southern NJ (My Page) on
Mon, May 3, 10 at 14:17

I have some foxglove that I planted last year that actually came back! Huge! And in the same spot that I planted them! I ordered Pam's Choice but got a sport of it, I think, as they have purple flowers instead of white with blotches. Anyone else have luck with foxglove? I absolutely adore it but I've heard that it's a pain, not coming back or seeding itself willy-nilly. This was my first attempt and I'd like to try more. Any recommendations for good varieties to try? Thanks!

Megan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: perennial foxglove?

foxgloves are biennials so you get a flowering in the second year and possible the third. I like the tall kinds - any kinds will do.

Ianna

o

Hi Megan, Iam a rather new lurker on cottage gardens,
Many things that are biennials will come back more than the two years if they are happy. If they are not Hybrids they will reseed and then continually be reblooming. ALSO
There are a few species of foxglove that are considered perennials, a strawberry colored one and a yellow one.
The strawberri one is called "digitalis mertonensis" and are about 3ft. tall.
roseberri

o

Lucky you. I have some back from the last year, and I have planted a lot hoping for your luck. I also planted some of the pink.

kay

o

I planted them in full sun and they loved it! I thought they like shade? They came back too.. Not all but a few..

o

Mine are on year two as well. I had a few blooms last year after planting out wintersown seedlings. This year, they've really taken off. I'm hoping for lots of reseeded plants next year. I've already planted out a few wintersown hunks just in case. I want to have these blooms in my garden for years.

o

They reseed like crazy. You will have tons of babies. I replant mine where I want them. My favorite plant!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here