Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

My new Terrace Gardens (pictures)

newyorkrita
15 years ago

Last fall I had a crumbeling ivey covered wall taken out and replaced with a bunch of terraces that I intended to plant this spring. Been working on it but not done. Still its starting to look good.

I have lots of daylilies in here plus some catmint, Gaillardia, Bulb Oriental and Asiatic Liliies, Sedum, Roases, Fern, plus annuals like Nasturtiums, Marigolds, Verbena and Zinnias.

I just got my order of hummingbirds mints from High Copuntry Gardens and am going to go plant them in the empty spots in front of the rows of lilies coming up.

{{gwi:676689}}

{{gwi:676690}}

{{gwi:676691}}

{{gwi:676692}}

{{gwi:676693}}

{{gwi:676694}}

{{gwi:676695}}

{{gwi:676696}}

Comments (24)

• girlgroupgirl
    15 years ago

WOW! I love how you were able to cram so much in such a little space with terracing. Looking so good!

GGG

• amare_al_giardino
    15 years ago

Gorgeous!
    I just LOVE it when everyone shares pictures of their gardens. I love the wide-sweeping views so we can really get a feel for it.
    Lot's of work went into all that terracing I am positive but wow was it worth it!

Stephanie

• contrary_grow
    15 years ago

I love your color combinations - everything looks so bright and cheery. I can't wait to see it when your daylilies are in bloom.

Mary

• friend
    15 years ago

OH it's jus tlovely! you must be soooo omuch happier with this.. I think you have done a great job planting it up

but i have to ask.. is anythign going to spill over any sides?? It's jsut beggin for it! :)

You've really done a great job planting it up.. and it must have been MUCH easier all terraced out liek this.. though i can imagine some spaces might still be hard to get to huh??

still it's amazing.. I love it.. you must be thrilled.. congrats!

• FlowerLady6
    15 years ago

I love it. What a great job you have done! Love the color of the retaining walls with all the plant colors. Keep posting pictures.

FlowerLady

• msscarlet
    15 years ago

Wow, I really like what you have done. You have created a real beautiful focal point in an area that appears must have been a bit of a hill. And tons of plants to boot! Great job. It looks like it must have been quite the project. Do you know how many stones you used LOL!

• Bamateacha
    15 years ago

Wow Rita! I was walking through my garden tonight and thinking about how it was really starting to feel like a garden. We've only been at this 3 or 4 years. Then I saw your pictures and I'm in awe. Did you do the work yourself? It looks so nice.

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    15 years ago

I love the colors. It's so impressive looking!

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This is my eight year of my garden redo so things are starting to come together. Last year I did alot of hardscape such as this terraces as I had run out of flat space and needed to get creative. My yard is many levels.

The Nasturtiums on the tird terrace will cascade down that middle part. I have three patches of the planted so it should look good.

• Steveningen
    15 years ago

Very nicely done, Rita. Nasturtium spilling down will be beautiful. You have all sorts of opportunities for little spillers to have their way. I'll be looking for updates on your terraces. Congratulations!

Steven

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here is the view of the terraces looking down from on top -

{{gwi:676697}}

And this is the view from down on my patio looking towards the terraces--

{{gwi:676698}}

• User
    15 years ago

BEAUTIFUL !! I love the look you have created. 8 years...gives me a lot of inspiration. I agree that the spilling plants will be lucious. PLease do post as it evolves. c

• Vikki1747
    15 years ago

Rita ~ it looks great! I can't wait to see these same shots in July when everything has "grown up". Your catmint looks so pretty and you will be able to get lots of new plants from it. What is the vine(?) you have planted in the container? Please keep us posted on the progress of your terrace garden.
    Vikki

• fammsimm
    15 years ago

Beautiful! I'm really impressed with all the work you've put into this. Building walls, hauling dirt is hard, hard work, but so worth it in the end.

I'm so glad you posted these pictures!

Marilyn

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Both container vines in the shots are trumpet vines. They are so pretty when they bloom in summer.

Yesterday I planted the hummingbird mints that had just arrived in those bare spots on the third terrance which you can see between the bunches of nasturtiums.

I have two types of Catmint there. I have Walkers Low in the right of the first tier (next to Red Stemmed Lady Fern) and also in the third tier at both ends. So since it likes to sprawl some, I am thinking it will spill over the wall some.

Then in the second tier I have two Little Tich Catmints, a lower growing variety I stumbled upon at a nursery out east here on Long Island. I had never seen that type before and grabbed up 5 of them that I have planted around.

I love the Catmints because they are no care and so hardy while blooming non stop.

I also have some red petunias in this garden that I think I forgot to mention and there are Ranunculus that I planted from the bulblets coming up.

In the fall I intend to add spring bulbs such as crocus, tulips and daffodils to this area so that I have color starting off early in the year.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Actually I am surprised at how good it looks already. In my opinion nothing usually looks less attractive than newly planted daylilies with the chopped cut folliage and or the brown wilting tips. But many of this springs daylilies planted there just shoot right up without going thru those uglies. And even with some doing the ugly thing, the garden still looks great.

As those daylilies grow nice new green fans the whole garden will look better. Plus I put zinnia seedlings in the fat second terrace and they will provide color till frost as soon as they start flowering. Already showing buds.

It was a tremendous amount of work but all worth it every time I look at this garden :-))

• angelcub
    15 years ago

I think it looks great, too. And very clever to go up for more space.

Diana

• todancewithwolves
    15 years ago

That looks fantastic. Your gardens are beautiful and I love the flagstone path.

I've pondered with the idea of using those kind bricks to build a pond.

Edna

• lynnencfan
    15 years ago

just beautiful Rita - you can be very very proud of what you have done. I definitely want to see pictures later in the year - good job .......

Lynne

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Updates shots of my terraces garden taken today.

{{gwi:676699}}

{{gwi:676700}}

• lorna-organic
    15 years ago

Love the brick blocks, love the curves in the lower terraces, and the staggered effect created by the taller wall is very eyecatching. Reminds me of a Mayan temple!

I was wondering, just the other day, why I've never seen mention of ranniculas on the forum. I like them. I wonder why they aren't more popular?

Lorna

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ranniculas will not grow or bloom if it gets too hot. Fussy. I planted mine too late and when we had that heat spell afew weeks ago, it really did them in. They are still strugging now but I will probably not see any bloom.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Things have really filled in in this newest picture.

{{gwi:676701}}

• lvtgrdn
    15 years ago

I wasn't a member of this forum in May. I'm glad you put updates so I could see the changes in the beds over time. They look fantastic! I have a new bed in my front yard that I'm trying to have cottage style. I keep adding more and more to it, but I think it needs a couple years of the annuals seeding themselves for it to look how I want it to.

Sue

Sponsored