Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fatplantguy

Dwarf Bugbane/Black Snakeroot - Cimicifuga 'Chocoholic'

Matt
11 years ago

I've just gotten my hands on a Chocoholic Bugbane, and am reading differing stuff online. Some say this variety can take a good bit of sun? I'm going to plant it this wknd in my mom's shade garden - which only receives less than 4 hrs of the earliest morning sun, then full shade the rest of the day. My questions are; A: Will it reach it's full potential in mostly shade color wise? (I love how lush the darkest purple it's already displaying looks.) B: It'll be by Ferns & Astilbe so I'll be attentive of watering needs but it is Southern Md and I'm worried of establishing it over the summer. So is it really as finicky as what I'm reading? One article said no variety of Cimicifuga has ever grown well for him besides Chocoholic and even that had never bloomed! I will be amending the soil with a big bag of loam. Please someone with experience on this plant help me! I'll have it planted at my mother's business front and it must look perfect! :)

Comments (8)

• Gracie
    11 years ago

How are the astilbe doing? If they're not turning crispy during a hot spell, the cimicifuga should do fine.

You should plant it in front of gold, silver, or variegated foliage or it will disappear in the shade.

I have had Hillside Black Beauty for 5 years and it's never bloomed. I moved it from morning sun in heavy clay to dappled sunlight under birch trees a year ago, and it's really taken off this spring.

• mandolls
    11 years ago

I too have some Hillside Black Beauties. Planted in a slightly raised bed under a maple surrounded by ferns, helebore, hosta and sweet william. 3-4 hrs of morning sun then some dappled light. They have taken a few years to establish, but are a little taller each year. I think one has bloomed, but I dont grow them for the flowers, the foliage is so lovely.

• Matt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I've just planted mine in morning sun, I too will be just as happy with only the beautiful foliage- although would love the addition of the pinkish bottlebrush flowers to my autumn garden. Will it need some extra attention the first year watering wise? I would hate for the dark purple plum foliage to be scortched or wilt beyond repair. I really really love the way this plant steals the show in my shade garden already. Definately worth the extra regular soak if it needs it! Hopefully once a week is enough because I am only at my parents on the weekends.

• Matt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

{{gwi:676712}}

• Matt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Image didn't load- took pic against black background to show how dark the foliage truly is :)
    http://m.flickr.com/photos/74932793@N03/7296012528/lightbox/

• ianna
    11 years ago

Mine (not a chocolate one) was planted in a part sun area. Received 7 hours of sun and was mostly in light shade during the day. It did very well in that location... that is until it stunk so bad, I took it and relocated it to a shadier area. Will see what happens.

• mandolls
    11 years ago

Thats huge - I bought mine in 4" pots,and they were sickly - after 4 years its about the size you have - enjoy.

P.S. planting it inside your car will probably be to much shade, unless you have a sun roof :)

• Matt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ha! Good taste in plants, and funny! You're a catch mandolls :) I will post a picture of it happily planted this weekend- PS mine was $20 for a gallon pot, which is usually fairly pricey for me but it's just so unique and I very much appreciate the purple addition to my shady corner.

Sponsored