Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_kitten

Talk About Invasives.

organic_kitten
10 years ago

I was at Lowe's today (buying BlackKow), an noticed they had Texas Evening Primrose for sale. Goodness! I have been fighting that for months. It is an insidious growing with all the roots it sends out underground. Pretty pink booms, no doubt, but not worth having a mat of it in every inch of your yard. Besides, if you want it, you can dig it up along any road (or pig trail) in the area.

kay

Comments (7)

• ogrose_tx
    10 years ago

Tell me about it! I planted a packet about 10 years ago, and it STILL comes back! This picture doesn't cover the half of all that I have growing! However, they're so pretty and come up so early in the spring I can't bring myself to get rid of them. Weird, they seem to come up in different parts of the garden every year. I think it has something to do with the timing of the mulching...

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

I've never grown them because I heard about their invasiveness, but they are very pretty. But, when I look out at my Rainbow Knockout roses they make me think of Texas evening primroses..

Ogrose, that's a lovely photo of your beautiful yard..

• ogrose_tx
    10 years ago

Thank you, Roselee, and you just gave me a great idea! I have a rainbow Knockout that really needs to be moved; there is a blank spot in my nondescript front flowerbed that needs filling in. It's on the NW side of my house, so did some googling and found out this rose will take partial shade, which it will get.

Worth a try. Thanks!

• kathi_mdgd
    10 years ago

I have those also,i pull them out every year,but they always come back.I like them,to a point!!
    Kathi

• gumneck 7A Virginia
    10 years ago

I have some too (given to me by a neighbor about 7-8 years ago) growing in a flower bed and have been pulling out plants for the past five. It is aggressive. I see it at Lowes, too, and cringe. Interestingly, I once tried to move some from an area where I did not want it to an empty area behind a shed. None of the little transplants survived.

• girlgroupgirl
    10 years ago

People here tend to plant them along the hellstrip median between sidewalk and road. They are so well contained in that little strip, I think it's a case of right plant, right place.

• eclecticcottage
    10 years ago

I think I've seen those at a nursery around here. I wonder if they'd be much trouble in my colder climate.

The one plant I see a lot that makes me cringe is flowering Japanese quince. I have one that came with the house and I'm sure it's VERY well established and likely 30-40 years old. It suckers EVERYWHERE within about 20 feet of the original plant. I cut out suckers from my gardens all growing season, and we mow down many, many more that spring up in the lawn. I'm sure it has it's place, but it's definately NOT near any other cultivated areas! I thought I couldn't hate a living tree/shrub as much as the old black walnut that was over our driveway at our old house (it belonged to an elderly neighbor who was attached to it, so we were stuck with it and all it's mess), but this thing gets the evil eye every time I step into the gardens. At least the hummingbirds get some food from it...

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz