Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Talk About Invasives.

Posted by organic_kitten 7 (My Page) on
Mon, May 6, 13 at 14:41

I was at Lowe's today (buying BlackKow), an noticed they had Texas Evening Primrose for sale. Goodness! I have been fighting that for months. It is an insidious growing with all the roots it sends out underground. Pretty pink booms, no doubt, but not worth having a mat of it in every inch of your yard. Besides, if you want it, you can dig it up along any road (or pig trail) in the area.

kay

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Talk About Invasives.

Tell me about it! I planted a packet about 10 years ago, and it STILL comes back! This picture doesn't cover the half of all that I have growing! However, they're so pretty and come up so early in the spring I can't bring myself to get rid of them. Weird, they seem to come up in different parts of the garden every year. I think it has something to do with the timing of the mulching...

o

I've never grown them because I heard about their invasiveness, but they are very pretty. But, when I look out at my Rainbow Knockout roses they make me think of Texas evening primroses..

Ogrose, that's a lovely photo of your beautiful yard..

o

Thank you, Roselee, and you just gave me a great idea! I have a rainbow Knockout that really needs to be moved; there is a blank spot in my nondescript front flowerbed that needs filling in. It's on the NW side of my house, so did some googling and found out this rose will take partial shade, which it will get.

Worth a try. Thanks!

o

I have those also,i pull them out every year,but they always come back.I like them,to a point!!
Kathi

o

I have some too (given to me by a neighbor about 7-8 years ago) growing in a flower bed and have been pulling out plants for the past five. It is aggressive. I see it at Lowes, too, and cringe. Interestingly, I once tried to move some from an area where I did not want it to an empty area behind a shed. None of the little transplants survived.

o

People here tend to plant them along the hellstrip median between sidewalk and road. They are so well contained in that little strip, I think it's a case of right plant, right place.

o

I think I've seen those at a nursery around here. I wonder if they'd be much trouble in my colder climate.

The one plant I see a lot that makes me cringe is flowering Japanese quince. I have one that came with the house and I'm sure it's VERY well established and likely 30-40 years old. It suckers EVERYWHERE within about 20 feet of the original plant. I cut out suckers from my gardens all growing season, and we mow down many, many more that spring up in the lawn. I'm sure it has it's place, but it's definately NOT near any other cultivated areas! I thought I couldn't hate a living tree/shrub as much as the old black walnut that was over our driveway at our old house (it belonged to an elderly neighbor who was attached to it, so we were stuck with it and all it's mess), but this thing gets the evil eye every time I step into the gardens. At least the hummingbirds get some food from it...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here