Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Yarrow 'Strawberry Seduction'

newyorkrita
13 years ago

This is a new yarrow I bought. Well, new to me. Unfortunately its not in bloom yet so all I had to go by was the picture on the label. Can't figgure out what color it is from the bad pictures, it can't be orange? Anyway, it appealed to me because of the extra dark folliage and the very sturdy stems. Much stronger than the ones on most yarrow that I see. Supposed to get 18-20 inches tall.

I am going to put it right next to the short shasta dasies I planted the other day. I figgure any darker color will look good next to the white. On the other side are my Kim's Knee High Coneflowers so I hope they don't clash. Or maybe they don't bloom at the same time.

I wonder if anyone else has this yarrow and what do you think of it?

I do like yarrow, what I don't like is that it gets floppy.

Comments (32)

• craftlady07
    13 years ago

I just got this one this year too! I'm dying to see it blooming because the pictures I have seen and the descriptions I have read say that it's a bright cherry red with yellow centers. I can't wait to see it :)

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here is a website were they are selling them. I am not pushing buying on line. But they have two really great pictures of STRAWBERRY SEDUCTION. Scroll down some for the clump shot. Looks great to me.

I bought three of these plants in nice sized pots locally to make an impact in the garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: Great Picture

• totallyconfused
    13 years ago

I looked at it but in the end decided to go with red Pentas this year until I see what color my Dynamite Crape Myrtle really is. I would love to hear more about the color once they bloom for you guys. They are still on my list of possibles for next year.

Totally Confused

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, I love Pentas but they are only annual here. So I some years have them in a pot by the patio. Don't have any Pentas this year yet.

• totallyconfused
    13 years ago

My front landscaping was redone last fall and I'm still struggling with how to incorporate flowers into it. I decided to just stick in some annuals (Pentas are an annual here also) to give it a little color and make it look less "forgotten" while I try to figure out what I want to do that's a little more permanent. I also had quite a bit to do in the back yard, so my budget was pretty tight. I didn't want to invest a lot of money in perennials for the front until I had a clearer vision of what I wanted for the space. Unfortunately, design is not my strong suit, so most of my gardening is done by trial and error.

Totally Confused

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Last year I had a large section of gardenbed in my front yard totally empty. I had neither the time nor the money to fill in that bed. Since it was out front facing the street, just leaving it bare was not an option as I wanted it to look good. So I bought two flats of zinnias and planted them. So this bed was two rows of daylilies, some lily bulbs behind them, then big space and ended with shrubs. The zinnias quickly grew and filled the space and it looked absolutely wonderful.

So wonderful that I am doing exactly the same this year, the zinnias are sitting here to be planted. So my sugggestion to you is that zinnias are quick fast growers, cheap and look great.

• totallyconfused
    13 years ago

I love zinnias, but they hate the humidity here. I usually have to pull them out about halfway through the summer because they have mildewed so badly. The narrowleaf ones, augustiflora maybe, don't seem to have the mildew problem, but no one sells them around here anymore. And my last foray into starting things from seed was a total disaster so...

Totally Confused

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It is just as humid here on Long Island, my zinnias used to mildew. But no more. Since I have roses now I just hit the zinnias with the systemic rose fungicide. Use the fungicide only as you do not want the insecticide. The butterflies love Zinnias. I spray my roses every two weeks but if I miss the zinnias and only do them monthly they still are fine. You could get a little hand held sprayer and take 5 ten minutes every two weeks and have the most wonderful bed of blooms.

I will post some pictures of mine when they bloom this summer. You will wish you had planted them LOL!

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

I guess I will need that one now to go with the other new ones.

I went to the local nursery and bought several more butterfly plants yesterday. I dug out part of the other side (under cardboard) and planted them. I have some plants coming from a couple of on line nurseries now, so I won;t buy anymore until they are planted. DH asked if I was planting the entire yard, and I assured him I wasn't. He knows better than to think I am totally through, however.
    kay

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ha, Kay, you are doing a fantastic job. I can't wait to see pictures when it all blooms.

I have on line orders coming too. I have columbines, more lupines, honeysuckle vines and siberian iris on order all to be gotten yet.

• totallyconfused
    13 years ago

Thanks for the fungicide suggestion, Rita. I never thought to try that. I may still add some to the front if I can find anything worth buying in a couple weeks. Right now I need to concentrate on my daughter's graduation and getting her set where she's spending the summer. Once that is accomplished I can get back to the gardens.

Totally Confused

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The Yarrow is just starting to show some color in the flower buds. I can't wait to see the real color on this one. The picture on the label was just crummy.

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

I'm interested in seeing what you think of the color, too. I bought a few yarrows in more recent years. They are in a rather inhospitable area between the sidewalk and the road, and they do well. Paprika is one, the other is an apricot (really, orange) and I like them both. They just finished blooming. I also have a purple/hot pink/fushia yarrow that will bloom in a few weeks. It's always the latest one. I wish I knew what types might bloom for a longer period of time here, or later.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It started to bloom.

{{gwi:676961}}

{{gwi:676963}}

This last picture with the sun on it.

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

It really looks good Rita! Love red.
    kay

• craftlady07
    13 years ago

oh I cannot wait for mine to open!! :) I was getting nervous becuase the flower buds appear to be white, and I thought "oh no, tell me the plant was mis-labeled" - this makes me very very excited :)

~Andrea

• DYH
    13 years ago

That's a lovely color! Not unlike the yarrow that I planted in April.

I bought yarrow 'Pomegranate' and really love it. It has been blooming since 10 May (here in my zone). It is a perfect color companion for rose campion and my salvia greggii 'Dark Dancer'.

In front of it, I have planted salvia 'May Night' and that's a great color combo, too.

Cameron

Here is a link that might be useful: Pomegranate with my rose campion

• ianna
    13 years ago

I think I have that. I have a patch that hasn't bloomed yet but I think it's a red kind.

I also have a yarrow that is pink. I got it last year from a farmer's market in the country. I'm waiting anxiously for how it will turn out and 'behave' itself in my yard.

I also have the large yellow yarrow. It was a rather huge plant which I mistakenly planted in the front of the bed so I relocated it to back of the border. I hope it behaves itself.

• backyardgrown
    13 years ago

I've been wary of yarrow, but I got a "Strawberry Seduction" last year and wish I'd gotten them ALL from the nursery. Mine are starting to open and the color is wonderful! I split a 1 gal pot into three pieces and I hope it spreads a bit or I can find some more locally.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It looks redder each day. Love it!

{{gwi:676965}}

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

I was hoping there was another picture. It is a very pretty yarrow.
    kay

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

It's looking like it would be a really nice match to a red knockout rose, Rita! That is one gorgeous color.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ha, I have double red knockout roses across the grass path from it :-))

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

{{gwi:676967}}

Taken today. The yarrow really looks fabulous especially with the white daiseys next to it. These daiseys are the SNOWCAP dwarf Shastas I bought this spring.

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

So your Yarrows are pretty petite then? I have a hot pinky-purple, very spreading (so a millifolium, but I'm not exactly sure what kind) that is about to bloom. Very petite. I love it! Yours sure looks great with snowcap!

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, that is another reason I like the STRAWBERRY SEDUCTION. It does not get as large and floppy as some of the older kinds more commonly available. But the daisey is very short so the picture might look misleading.

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    13 years ago

That yarrow looks great. I love the color next to the shastas, makes the whole plant pop.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I did lots of work in that general area this spring. You can see just on the other side of the daiseys are some snapdragons I stuck in there for some extra color. Next year I will find something else to plant in back of those 3 yarrows. Just don't feel like doing any more this year. That is unless I just happen upon the perfect plants that I can't leave be. I have been good as I have not been to any nurseries in weeks. Otherwise I would probably still have more things I had bought that need planting.

• irene_dsc
    13 years ago

I like that - it looks a bit like my red yarrow, but without the flopping! I moved it to dd's border this year, so now it is by geraniums (I forget if it is Nimbus or Brookside) and Home Run red Knockout rose, and it looks great there.

• craftlady07
    13 years ago

I have the strawberry seduction planted near sundrops (oenthera) and a geranium (this isn't the best picture quailty - and I tried to make them smaller but photobucket doesn't seem to be cooperating, sorry))
    {{gwi:676970}}

and a close up of it :)
    {{gwi:676972}}

~Andrea

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The Strawberry Seduction yarrows came up beautifully this spring. Of course when I used to have the old fashioned kinds many years ago, I pretty much ignored them and they grew and flowered like troopers. So I figgure yarrows are easy. I would like to get another color in the "seduction" series to add this spring.

• deborahfine
    6 years ago

I planted Strawberry Seduction also--- loved the color--- but the blooms have all turned a very unattractive muddy dull yellow/beige! It's as if the center yellow has taken over and browned out. Has anyone else experienced this? It's late June--- should I cut back the blooms?

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!