Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

What a great haul at the nursery today.

newyorkrita
14 years ago

Wow, I am so pleased at all the goodies I found today at the really nice nursery I usually shop at.

My found two types of Columbines and bought them, CALIMERO and LITTLE LANTERN, see the Columbine post for more information.

Then I also bought 8 small pots of Rudbeckia hirta CHEROKEE SUNSET. Again see the Rudbeckia post for more information.

I bought a Mandarin honeysuckle vine. I used to have one and loved the orange flowers but in the garden redo it had to be dug up and moved but it died. So now it is replacede but going in a different spot. Intend to put it on the big wide trellis next to the house with a MAJOR WHEELER honeysuckle I bought previously. I had honeysuckle on this trellis for years but it died one year. So going to fix it up again.

Under the plan of bringing things back that used to be here before I put in all the raised beds and terraces (with mostly roses, daylilies and lilies) I also bought four pots of Shasta Daiseys. I used to have both the common Shastas and the tall ALASKA ones but this time I went for the short new kind called SNOWCAP dwarf Shasta Daiseys. Growing 18 inches.

Then my hollyhocks died last year so I found these lavender purple semi doubles called QUEENY PURPLE. IT said they are dwarf hollyhocks growing 30 inches. Bought 5 going to put them in front of that trellis were I am planting the honeysuckles I was talking about above.

Then to go with my black eyed susans I got three of the small pots of Blanket Flower Gallardia "BURGANDY". Been looking at that one on line too. Another in my campaign of bring back what used to be here. Except I didn't have this type before. I had the tall ones years ago, again garden terrace building wiped them out. Then later I bought Goblin and it died its first summer here. So trying again with Gallardias.

A also bought a flat of Cosmos for that garden near the lupines. Was looking for snapdragons but couldn't find the colors I wanted so left it for another time.

Oh and bought some more violas. Bought ROCKY PENNY CITRUS MIX. Mine are small flowered and mostly orange but so cute :-))

Comments (9)

• organic_kitten
    14 years ago

It does sound like youmade a great haul and you will be busy.
    kay

• crackingtheconcrete
    14 years ago

Pictures, Rita!! Pictures ;) LOL Columbines are awesome.. I loved them when I was little and our next door neighbor had them flittering like butterflies bordering our property, but I love them even more now, b/c they grow BEAUTIFULLY in shade-sun and it saves me when I have ridiculous gaps where I barely have anything blooming.
    Love the names of the stuff you bought.. makes me itchy to hit the nursery, too.!
    Sounds like you had a LOT of fun!

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I will be planting all week as I hadn't even finished planting all the stuff I bought the last times I went to the nursery LOL !

I have some pictures in the camera and will download when I get a chance. If you want to read more about my columbine quest check this forum for my Columbine post. And for my Black eyed susan post. And for my posts about my lupines. I have been a very busy bee.

My main forums are daylilies and cottage garden. This time of year the cottage garden is busier than the daylily forum. As the daylily blooms really start then the daylily forum gets really hopping.

• gottagarden
    14 years ago

You go girl! Wished I lived next door so we could trade!

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I was busy planting today and did make a great dent on everything sitting there waiting for me to get to it.

First off I planted one of my potted clematis I bought locally, the MRS CHOLMONDELEY. Then I planted my flat of Cosmos in the garden in the front yard I call the little annual garden. It is really near those lupines in the pictures I have been posting.

Then I planted those 6 ROCKY PENNY CITRUS MIX violas. They look cute under my knockout roses. The violas are orange, the roses red. I hope the colors don't clash when the roses bloom :-((

I planted my four clumps of Shasta daiseys and I am really pleased with their placement. I had to dig out 4 clumps of a row of 5 clumps of the same daylily (ALL FIRED UP). I like the daisey in that spot better than the daylilies. It is just much neater (tidier) looking than the daylily leaves hanging over the path. Going to move that fifth daylily and do something else there too but as it didn't need to be done today, I left it.

Then I had to relocate a clump of lilies so I could plant all my Rudbeckia hirta CHEROKEE SUNSET and the three Blanket Flower Gallardia "BURGANDY". Those shasta daisies are all near them too. That entire bed section, which has the fancy new coneflowers and now these others has turned out really super.

I know I did something else too but now I can't remember what it was. Oh well.

• organic_kitten
    14 years ago

We are out of control! But isn't it fun? I can't wait to see these new pictures as all of the new plants begin to bloom.
    kay

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

kay, I am deffinately going back to even more of a cottage garden feel than I have now. The thing is the past three years have been one hardscape project after another. Plants had to be moved for most of these terraces and raised beds and many just did not survive. I am bringing them back starting this year.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, I bought three Strawberry Seduction yarrow, a potted Victornia Blue salvia, a 6 pack of zahara red zinnias and a flat of the most lovely pink edged verbena today.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

{{gwi:677218}}

Here are my planted Shasta daisies. That last daylily directly in back of them is going to come out for the yarrows.

{{gwi:677219}}

And here is the struff planted yeaterday, that is the Rudbeckia hirta CHEROKEE SUNSET and the three Blanket Flower Gallardia "BURGANDY".

{{gwi:677220}}

Here are the cosmos planted in the little annual garden that I bought a flate of.

{{gwi:677221}}

See, those are very near the lupines.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus