Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ianna_gw

what plants didn't survive this winter

ianna
12 years ago

I'm sad because my dropsmore honeysuckled didn't survive this winter and a few other lavenders. It's been really horrible with the thaws and freezes. I wonder what else may not come up.

What about others here.. Did you experience some die offs?

Ianna

Comments (16)

• valree3
    12 years ago

It still seems like winter in No. Nev. with this past Sat.in the low 60's and Monday snow and this morning 27* degrees with a chance of snow tonight. Luckily, the snow didn't stick. Most of my perennials are still popping up but my shrubs are late in leafing out. I have a couple of trees that have small green leaves out but the rest of my trees are still brown. Hopefully by the end of May, spring will have arrived in beautiful Nevada!

• honnat
    12 years ago

Tough winter here; but not too many freezes and thaws. Just a long heavy freeze. I did loose some heuchera; but at least a couple that I thought were gone; are just now starting to show some life. Also lost a couple of my larger Anemone Whirlwind. Go figure; the little one that I transplated last fall survived; and the other larger ones are gone. None of them were all that big - they are not happy where I put them.

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

I lost two of the little arborvitae along the property line, and the chaste tree looks iffy. I've tested for wick on branches (I did cut back like suggested) and they are dead, but there is green on the bottom trunk.

• simcan
    12 years ago

I lost some plants...a hosta, believe it or not (appropriately named Risky Business) some Stoke's aster (Peachie's Pick), about half of my Japanese Blood Grass (annoying because I depend on a large swath of the stuff and it is now a patchy mess), a few Colour Guard yuccas, and some hardy geraniums. All told, apart from the losses everything has been very slow to appear this year.

• ianna
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm abit heartsick about my dropsmore honeysuckle and can't figure out why it died. Other vines on the same fence were fine. I would love to buy a new one but I do wonder what else I should have done.

I did lose a few boxwood which I now have to replace. I guess there must have been some airpockets that caused it to die. However I did note that other boxwood suffered a bit (and I thought they were really hardy).

Ianna

• totallyconfused
    12 years ago

My perennials did pretty well. I lost both of my gaura, but I knew it was iffy planting them in clay soil. I also lost one of my two liatris. Other than that, I think all the perennials made it. What I am most disappointed about is that all 6 of my "soft touch" hollies suffered either wind burn or frostbite. Three of have very little green showing at all. I asked at the nursery where they were purchased and I was assured that they would come back, but at this point I am skeptical. I'll have to start thinking about what I can replace them with that will stay low enough for that location.

Totally Confused

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    12 years ago

It makes me sick to think of the things I lost. Not sure it makes me feel better or worse that many of them were new to my garden...

Think my long list of losses might make some of you feel better, LOL! ;-)

Eremurus (foxtail lily)

Fritillaria imperialis 'Lutea Maxima' (though for some reason the orange one came up fine)

Hedysarum hedysaroides (french honeysuckle)

Salvia lyrata 'Purple Volcano'- ugliest plant you have ever seen, so no big loss ;-)

Arisaema urashima (no signs of life)

Corydalis 'Silver Spectre' I ordered last spring. Think it might not be as hardy here as some sites say. I do see what I think is a sprout, so I will say it is iffy, not dead!

Asclepias 'Gay Butterflies' had this a year or two and wasn't very fond of the color anyway...but it is still sad to loose something!!

Cymbalaria muralis- it did so great last year that I have no clue why it died! I see seedlings around the spot so perhaps it reseeded?

Erodium 'Bishop's Form'- though granted it looked terrible over summer..

Also some silvery thymes I got on sale rack last summer
    CMK

• sarahrock
    12 years ago

I think the only things I lost over the winter were one gooseberry plant and two out of of the three Rosemary plants I put in last fall... and honestly I was only *hoping* that those would survive, not expecting it.

Other than that, I have a few newer plants that are off to a really slow start, but at least there's some action. I'm still hopeful! :)

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

I lost one of my Lyda roses and one of my Trier roses...and the two gallicas, Fantin Latours and Ispahans all died back, just about three inches above ground...as did the Darlow's Enigma, which is supposed to be very hardy.

I took the Fantin Latours and Ispahans (two each) to my mom's house, where I hope they'll find a better home, with more protection in the winter. The gallicas, surviving Trier and Lyda were all moved to more sheltered locations. We'll see what happens.

On a brighter note, all the Hidcote lavender seems to be fine, at least around the house. I planted a few in the kitchen garden, which are more exposed to the winds. I'm moving them, if they come back, it's just too cold for them. Zone 3 plants do better out there!

Everything else did pretty well, but I buy mostly zone 3 plants for the rest of the garden. The exception is the butterfly bushes, which I love...they look like summer lilacs, to me. They're zone 5, but usually some come back and the branches make a great deterrent to keep the deer from sneaking in the backside of the garden! :)

• hosta_house
    12 years ago

3 liatris and 3 dianthus

• finchelover
    12 years ago

I bought 2 tall Anenome when visiting my son in Ill. I was told they would stand our climate well so far I see no site of them. Heck!

• ianna
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh lavender -- so sad for the loss of your roses. I do hope the ones that died back will spring back. Often they are drafted on hardier roots and so hopefully they'll come back.

Ianna

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Ianna- Thank you, but only two roses actually died...the others just died back a few inches above the ground. They'll be fine, but since some only bloom on old wood, I thought they'd be happier at my mom's house.

The good news is that my little Hybrid Musks seem very hardy, as are the other two gallicas (Belle de Crecy) and the John Cabot roses are wonderful! I got four at Lowe's last year (own root/zone 3) and they look wonderful after our long winter.

The Celsiana was also surprising. While the Ispahans did not do well, the Celsiana seems more like a rugosa than a damask. It hardly suffered any cane damage and it's leafing out all over the place!

Sorry to see that your lavender had a tough time. I don't know if Hidcote is something you want to try (or have already) but they usually sell it at Lowe's around mid-July, in our area. They carry many lavenders, but that's the one that seems to do best in my cold micro-climate. Living in a small valley, with a creek, seems to make for much colder winters and shorter frost-free growing seasons...but very pretty! :)

• ianna
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I so have hidicote. I made the mistake of pruning the plants a bit early -- or that this unpredictable weather pulled a surprise on me and dusted us with snow and killed off those plants.

• scully931
    12 years ago

A couple butterfly bushes!!! I thought those things were indestructible!

Also perennial hibiscus not showing any signs yet, but it's been rainy here and they like it hot, so I guess there's still hope there.

Misery loves company, so - good post.

• sharoncl
    12 years ago

I lost both campanula 'pantaloons' and 'cherry bells' this year. To make up for it, c. sarastro seems to have gotten 10 times as large, so I was able to split her up and fill in the empty spots left behind. I also lost a royal fern, a few of last season's wintersown caryopteris, a couple of 'electric blue' penstemon, and a huge ligularia, but I think that was more the fault of the siding contractors who worked on our house rather than the weather.