Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennypat_gw

What would you do?

For many years we had a dead tree in our yard we called the wood pecker tree. You could see it from my dining room window, and we would get all sorts of birds on it, and in it! Including pileated woodpeckers. I had also put a flower bed around it. Anyway last winter if finally fell over, my DH cleaned up most of it, then his chain saw broke, and now I have this huge log laying in my yard. I wanted him to get help to haul it out, but he wants me to leave it, and garden around it. What do you think?

This is the view from the porch, there is a flower bed, then there was an aisle where the log is laying now. Behind that is the flower bed where the tree used to stand.
{{gwi:677936}}

The rest of the images here were taken as I walked around the spot.
{{gwi:677938}}

You can see here how hollow and rotten it is!
{{gwi:677940}}

You can see the remnants of the stump here, looking back towards the house.
{{gwi:677942}}

{{gwi:677944}}

{{gwi:677946}}

I was sort of thinking I could cover the grass with cardboard, then pile compost up and around the log. Maybe plant a clematis and let it ramble over it? I don't know.

Jenny P

Here is a link that might be useful: Rotten log in the yard

Comments (17)

• docmom_gw
    10 years ago

I'd definitely keep the trunk. Even on the ground it will attract lots of bugs and therefore birds who will eat the bugs. Can you roll it into one of the garden beds, so you don't lose your path? Though, I think making a bed around it as it is is also a great idea. It might even make a nice cozy cave for some wild critter to hang out in. Though it is awfully close to the house. I doubt any wild animal would consider that a safe location, especially if they had babies. I love the look of old stumps and logs. In fact, I keep trying to think of a way to transport some to my yard, but heavy equipment is so expensive. Another good reason to keep that tree trunk right where it is. Is it too big to sit on? Kids would love to climb on it. Anyway, I'm jealous.

Martha

• trovesoftrilliums
    10 years ago

You could Hugelkultur it.

I am trying this in my yard since we have a lot of tree branches and wood remnants. I am having a grad time scrounging up enough soil to cover my wood piles though.

I am not sure I'd want a big trunk in the front yard.. I think it would take some time for me to get accustomed to the idea just because I'm set in my ways I guess. Your tree trunk does look quite appealing though and I can imagine it covered in a beautiful clematis. Just conjures up images of hobbits. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Hugelkultur search

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

It will eventually lose it's bark and be a nice place to sit. Grow a clematis or a nice climbing rose on it, and the critters will still enjoy it.

kay

• thinman
    10 years ago

I like your DH's idea. In fact, I think I'll borrow it. We have a big plum tree in our front yard that turned up dead this spring. DW is patiently (really!) waiting for me to cut it down and get it out of there, but now I have a better idea. Garden around it.

Thank you so much. You've saved me a ton of work.

ThinMan

• jennypat Zone 3b NW MN
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thinman, if your plum attracts as many birds as our woodpecker tree did, you will love it. I really really miss ours.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    10 years ago

Jenny, my parents have had dead logs in their yard and the piliated woodpeckers would still come to them on the ground so you may still get them!

Are you interested at all in fairy gardens? It was the first thing I thought of when I saw the log. There are all sorts of fairy accessories out there these days. I was at a garden symposium this winter and one of the vendors had all sorts of fairy stuff. It was absolutely adorable and people were going crazy over it. A little fairy village could be very cute.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fairy gardens

• plays_in_dirt_dirt
    10 years ago

I'd leave it. I love old logs and stumps. I have an upright log on the kitchen porch that doubles as a small table. I also have a beautiful stump about 3 feet tall on the side of my driveway and enjoy looking at it through the kitchen window. The stump stands upright because it still has its root flare.

• auntyara
    10 years ago

Sorry, but I would put it in the burn pit and roast marshmallows. Squirrels and chipmunks love to hide in dead logs. I have a big problem with them here. Sure they're cute and fun to watch their antics, but they eat and destroy the gardens. and they yell at me when I go into MY gardens. lol.
    I have backyard nursery and a few yrs ago a young chipmunk ran up a customers leg to escape my cat! We both almost had heart attacks that day.
    It's funny now....
    :) Laura

• girlgroupgirl
    10 years ago

Jennypat, I like it! I think it's charming and would most certainly just garden around it. Eventually it will turn into the most delicious garden soil, and by the looks of it, it won't take too long.
    Chipmunks may reside in it, I have that problem here as well (they make tunnels in my raised beds and kill the danged shrubs planted there) but if they don't damage the garden, then you can just call them cute :)

• luckygal
    10 years ago

Have you decided the fate of that lovely big log, Jenny?

I think I'd leave it as an interesting rustic feature for the garden altho auntyara definitely has a point about chipmunks. They are nasty little critters that have done damage in my garden and my truck! If you have a dog it may inhibit the critters.

• jennypat Zone 3b NW MN
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah, I decided to leave it, it's to heavy for me and the DH to move, so it is staying put. Right now it's just sitting there with the grass growing tall around it! But I am going to get my DH to help me, and put cardboard down, pile it high with 1/2 composted compost, leaves and whatever. Then next year plant it.

I like the idea of putting a clematis on it and letting it ramble. I am going to try to remember to take pictures during the process and put them into my flicker album.

• cenepk10
    10 years ago

I say repair the chain saw, cut that sucker up & use it for outdoor table base

• jennypat Zone 3b NW MN
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cenepk10.....LOL I have plenty of pieces like this in the wood pile I could use as table bases. This was the 3rd tree in 3 years to fall in the yard. I have a whole lot of old dead cottonwood in the back too, if I ever need more.

• Marie Tulin
    10 years ago

Clematis

• Marie Tulin
    10 years ago

Clematis

• freezengirl
    10 years ago

I am glad you are keeping it. It will look fantastic with a clematis or any type of vine or other plants draping around it.

• memo3
    10 years ago

We just took out two old Elm trees this weekend that were extremely diseased. I couldn't wait to get all that mess cleaned up and out of my yard! I wanted the stumps gone too but he left them about three feet tall. I have to say I wasn't pleased so he used his chain saw to cut the center out of one of them, turning it into a planter. I planted it yesterday and I have to say I do think it looks pretty cute now. I think I'll grow some morning glory on the other one. Lots of ways to make use of what nature and man leave behind!

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County