Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ninebark in need of pruning... BAD!

Posted by mystic_dragon72 6b (My Page) on
Sun, May 2, 10 at 16:35

This is what the Ninebark that is growing next to my house looks like this year... very few leaves and it didn't bloom at all! When I bent a couple of the "dead" sticks they are green inside.. We're going to prune it back severely in the fall and hopefully it will come back like it was last year.

This first photo is what it looks like now:
Photobucket

This is what it looked like last year early summer:
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ninebark in need of pruning... BAD!

It deos look as if a haircut would do it great good.

kay

o

• Posted by memo Zone 4B Nebraska (My Page) on
    Sun, May 2, 10 at 23:25

You should be able to prune it back to the ground now. It'll shoot new sprouts up pretty quickly. It will probably gain a foot or foot and a half this summer.

MeMo

o

I didn't realize that I could prune it now... thought I had to wait until it went dormant in the fall. Pruning it now won't harm it none?

ttfn
Cheryl.

o

Pruning now will actually be better. Cut to the ground all the dead stalks.

o

Kewl... thanks for the info! I really didn't want to wait the whole summer with a scruffy lookin bush as we're going to be planting a bunch of beds... one of them beside this bush as you can see in the last photo. Being able to prune it back to make it neater as well as healthier would be a good thing... even if it's more work. LOL.

ttfn
Cheryl.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here